All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Painting Black Bumpers

How to paint your ugly black bumpers the same colour as your car, This way is cheap but effective and looks a lot better than black bumpers!

Tools:

1. Several cans of plastic primer make sure its automotive plastic primer however.

2. Spray Paint (Must get the EXACT colour of your car)

Steps:

1. Clean your bumper thoroughly with water.

2. Once dry start to use masking tape and newspaper to stop any paint from getting onto the car's body, lights e.t.c

3. When you have done the above and only once you have done the above, Make sure your Primer and Spray paint function correctly (Try this on a scrap piece of wood or such like)

4. Apply the primer to the bumper (Holding the spray about 30cm away from the bumper while doing this) Make sure you apply an even coat to achieve the best results.

5. Wait for your primer to dry (Some plastic primers will dry in 10 minutes, some will dry in an hour depending on the quality).

6. Once your primer is dry you can apply your first coat of paint. Same principles as applying the primer.. Hold the can about 30 cm away from the bumper applying a nice even coat all over (This may not look very effective on your first coat, do not go back over it!! Wait until it has dried and apply another coat and not before)

7. Add as many coats as you like until you are satisfied with your finish.

8. Leave to dry and enjoy your coloured bumpers!

Result:

Coloured bumpers instead of ugly black ones!

Cost:

Spray Paint (In My Case - Flame Red): £2.50
Plastic Primer: £ 2.50

UPDATE:

Ok, So i added Lacquer to my bumper today, This is the result..

----------
Since these photos, I have re-sprayed all side skirts and front bumper, fitted 4 X Unisport 15" Racing Alloys, Sprayed certain parts of the inside silver + fully de-badged it.. Still to come - Bodykit, I have ordered some seat covers but plan to eventually get bucket seats, and a lot more bits n bobs.

---------

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
I would recommend taking the bumper of and definatly using laquer. Good tutorial, it is defiantly needed!

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm unsure on lacquer, I just used Plastic Primer and Spray Paint which only cost me a fiver in total for the both however i did use a full can of spray paint achieving the result above (Just on the rear bumper so you will probably need about 4 in total). If you have any q's let me know.. its better to ask than to mess it up! lol. I was unsure whether to do this or not myself until today and i decided as i couldn't find a tutorial anywhere i would upload one. Post some pics up if you decide to do it :) Oh, and don't worry if it doesn't cover well to start off with.. mine never either.. let it dry then give it another coat and repeat the process if needed. Hope its a success!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I read somewhere that when using lacquer you need to heat the can first. At first I was like ok yeah great lets heat up a cheap pressurised can full of chemicals. Without the lacquer it still has that plastic look if you get me. Still looks good though. Done a great job. If you do have a go with lacquer definitely add it to this.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Laquer adds shine, and also protects the paint.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
If i was you i'd use laquer after as it protects the finish and gives it a nice shine and makes it easier to clean.

also you will get better results with the laquer if its at room temperature.

edit - was beaten to it.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
It goes on after paint. This finish will get stained alot quicker and look poo as soon as gets bit dirt on it

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Better hope done rain in the meantime then

·
Registered
923 Posts
what about sanding? surly you need to prepare the plastic surface first with fine grade of sand paper to help the primer stick better?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
christ ...

whenever i've sprayed I use a 3 day process

Day 1
Rough sand material (240 + 400)
Was with a fairy liquid/water solution
Wipe off excess

Normal Primer
Wet wetndry 1200 grit the primer
wash and wipe

Day 2

Paint
wet wetndry 1200 grit the paint
Wash and wipe

Day 3

Laquer

2 weeks later rubbing compound polish and wax

And if i'm in no rush ill leave the paint a couple of days before laquering
FOund that to give a perfect finish

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.