All Corsa Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
It might, I would take the time to clean them off properly with paint prep and sand them before then prime/colour/lacquer (Pretty much as Chase describes it on the last page). I also leave a day between doing the primer, the paint and the lacquer.

If you do the extra work you'll greatly reduce the chance of peeling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would recommend using HYCOTE paint instead, it gives a much glossier finish so no need to use loads of lacquer after (although I always give at least 2-3 coats). I also make sure the primer is perfectly flat and smooth before adding colour, I do it by wet sanding with a very fine grade (almost feels like no grit) which will help the overall outcome look alot smoother and glossier :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I asked due to the fact that someone said use etching primer and I wasn't to sure, so I just use normal prime as in the one for the metal body panels for a car ? , what is the spoiler even made out of, it looks like fiberglass.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Any standard car paint primer will be fine. Use a high build if having to fill minor scratches.

Preparation though is an absolute pre-requisite to a good job so carefull sanding with wet and dry paper used wet (with a drip of washing up liquid) and then wash off and when dry, wipe over with IPA or a proper body wipe.

I am no expert but an etch primer kinda eats in to the surface you are spraying to get a better 'grip' of a metalic surface for the paint. Not sure this is so with primer on to paint so you may save a few quid by just using normal primer. I just use a can of Halfords own, never had a problem so long as you are careful with prep work.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.