All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How To: Remove Rear Arches
In the following tutorial, you will learn how to remove the rear arches from your car. This could be done for numerous reasons such as for spraying to match the colour of your car. Note that mine have already been sprayed and were removed again as I fitted a new rear bumper so thought I'd make a quick tutorial this time.

This is my first tutorial so hope its easy to follow - process is straight forward enough anyway :thumbs_up:

Tools
Ratchet
10mm Socket
Extension bar
Angled Extension

Guide

Step 1
The rear arch is fixed to the car with 6 plastic nuts. Have a feel behind the rear arch first and locate all 6 of them. Note that you may have to remove muck and road dirt to get to some of them - mine were covered. The pic below shows roughly where the nuts are:

And this is what the nuts are like:

Step 2
Using your ratchet and 10mm socket (extension bar is recommended aswell) take off all 6 nuts from behind the arch. The one at the bottom front of the arch is the hardest because there isn't much space. This is where I used the angled extension to get in at that one. It may be easier to jack the rear of the car up but I don't have a jack so I did it this way and didn't have any problems - choice is yours!

Step 3
Now slowly remove and wiggle the arch free. The arch is also held on by a white plug thing at the end closest to the rear bumper, but arch will easily come off. Once the arch is off, this is what you'll be left with:

Step 4
Once you have the arch off flip it over and check that all the little bolts are still attached to the arch. Some of mine dropped off when arch came off so I sorted this by using super glue to put them back in place and left it overnight to dry. In the pic below you'll see 2 small shiny areas where glue was used to glue 2 bolts back in place. You can also see the white plug thing which helps hold arch on:

Step 5
Repeat process for other rear arch.

Step 6
Now do with them what you want - whether its spraying them to colour code them with the car or even binning them to replace them with brand spanking new ones!

Step 7
Refitting is easy enough. Just place arch back in position starting at the end closest to the rear light and then put nuts back on and tighten.

Result
I took mine off the first time to colour code them and this is the result:

Cost
Assuming you have all the tools then this part will cost you nothing. Its what you decide to do with them that will decide how much you need to spend whether its spraying them or replacing them etc.

Hope this tutorial helps some of you :thumbs_up:

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
i found a much quicker way earlier on this year, drive along a metal gate along the side of your car!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
This is a great tutorial, i need to take mine off at some point soon and spray them, are you gonna do a tutorial for the front arches when you get round to doing them?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a great tutorial, i need to take mine off at some point soon and spray them, are you gonna do a tutorial for the front arches when you get round to doing them?
Thanks mate:thumbs_up: Yea I will be once i've worked it out myself :laugh: Need to work out how to get inner arch lining off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
thx really great :D

make more ;)

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
good guide geebs :thumbs_up:

Anyone know if i can use standard 10mm nuts to fix my front arch on? as it is only held on by 2 atm :eek:

·
Registered
77 Posts
how much paint do i need and primer and sanding paper and what types? my corsa it metalic blue. i need to know how much it will cost also and how many coats of what. Thanks - Laughyboy

·
Registered
266 Posts
get a fine sandpaper... id say 320 and then move to a 1500 eventually...
just get plastic primer from halfords that seems to do the trick.

3 coats of primer with a rub-in and a light sand in between, about 3 coats of paint depending on how it looks, then as many coats of lacquer if you wish to use it..

·
Registered
308 Posts
ha I should of done that but was too time consuming soooo just ripped them off and use pink grip to stick them back on, they havent fallen off yet lol

mint tutorial though mate good work!

·
Registered
10 Posts
back ones are easy to get off... with the front ones you have to partly take off the wheel lining... i did them for my car today... ripped off the olds ones and seen how they were held on ;) ill do a tut on it if anyone wants me to?

Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
back ones are easy to get off... with the front ones you have to partly take off the wheel lining... i did them for my car today... ripped off the olds ones and seen how they were held on ;) ill do a tut on it if anyone wants me to?

Mike
A tut would be great :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
any car spares place should have them, just take one of each part in that you need and ask if they have any, or try your local vauxhall dealer:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Just too ass, The front arches are a little more difficult, they still had the 6 x10mm bolts, but they are hidden beneath wheel arch lining, easiest was it to remove wheel. then get flat headed screw-driver to remove 3or 4 plastic lugs (these hold wheel arch lining on, once lining is off, its exactly same as rear:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts