All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

This is my first post here, I need to replace the camshaft on my sister's 2006 corsa 1.4 8 valve Fuel Injected engine the oil feed holes on two of the lobe's blocked and the cam is a gonner probably the cam followers too.

I am handy with tools and engines so be technical if you like..

What i need to know is: can the camshaft be removed without taking the cylinder head off?
Does the cambox come off without loosening the cylinder head?

Any help much appreciated, i need to fix this tonight or at latest tomorrow.

Thanks
:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey there
My cam belt snapped last year and had to replace a few valves,
Its a day job if you're not to clued up on things,

On mine, I had to remove the head, If i remember correctly the head bolts went through the cam box,
I left the intake on the head and just removed the piping and so on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Marbro Fancy meeting you here!!

I thought as much for the head bolts going trough the cam box.
If at all possible i dont want to disturb the head, my valves are still fine, belt didnt break but the engine started running uneven, so i had a look inside and found the cam in bad condition.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah theres about 5 of us on here. cause the SA guys just dont care,

well you could just leave the head on, but the bolts need to be out

where you based?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay so where 6 now ;) Same on the Renault's SA guys dont care ....

I'm about 100km South of JHB, Vaal triangle. (Berny's friend although she forgot about me)

I've been reading a bit on the net, apparently there is a tool to remove the cam followers then you can just pull the cam out, my concern is whether the space will be enough with the air filter box out.

The tool seems to depress the hydraulic lifters then the followers can be removed.
Plan A is getting the cam out in position
Plan B Removing the cambox without disturbing the head
Plan C (last resort) removing the head

Its a second gen Corsa bakkie BTW

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if any one wants to venture into this:
The cam can be removed without removing the cambox or head with the help of the tool above, on each cylinder remove the inlet rockers first and then the exhaust vale rockers, unscrew the fuse box (gearbox side) unclip the water bottle lift the lot up and pull out the cam.
I am unfortunately still waiting for my new cam to arrive at the local spares shop, so i will still have to see if reassembly is just as easy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys from SA. I have a Corsa 1.4i that has broken the rocker arm of the second piston. I went and bought a set of 8. Somewhere I read that if one rocker brakes then others are likely to follow. I also read of a guy with a 16v 1.6 who found all 16 inlet rockers broken... I have a fair amount of mechanical understanding and from what I can see it looks like that camshaft could just slide out but I do understand the need for a tool to compress the valve spring with. Any idea where to find said tool?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi SteveSA, I am probably a few months too late as you posted 4 months ago, but I am in the same situation and found a YouTube video that at least shows what that tool looks like... (might help someone in the future). So I need to replace the hydraulic lifters on my Opel Corsa 1.6 Liter 8-valve Sport but I do not want to remove the Cam Box as I would have to loosen the head bolts which would release pressure on the head gasket and require new head bolts, making it a huge job for just replacing the hydraulic lifters. to me a bit stupid from GM that you cannot remove those top half of the aluminium bushes (might have another name) so that the cam shaft just lifts right out like my Toyota Conquest used to have, made life so much easier, now you have to strip half of the car just to get to the hydraulic lifters....

Any way, the photo of that cam removal tool can be seen on this vide which I think is a UK video as it is Vauxhall Corsa on the tappet cover of the car in the video:
- 1 min 5 seconds into the video you can see the tool, I will try and make something similar if it's not available from spares shops in the area. I also embedded the two screen shots into my post below.

I also found this comment on the video above which refers to a part number of a similar tool: "hi guys , OK sealey part number VS151 allows you remove hyd lifter , without taking head off or camshaft out. if you want to remove camshaft then remove each rocker individually , then hey presto , camshaft can be removed , have fun" which is available in the UK on this site with pictures for what its worth (might help with ideas to make your own tool) : Rocker Arm & Valve Compensator Tool | VS151 | 1 Year Warranty | Sealey

Regards,
Reinhard

Font Metal Auto part Machine Fashion accessory

Font Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Motor vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts