All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been outside doing this, so thought i'd take some photos along the way and hit up a quick tutorial.

You will need:

1x Philips driver
1x Pair of hands
1x Replacement stalk
And a spare 15mins

Step 1:

Unscrew the 3 philips head screw on the underside of the steering column cowling. The middle one will have a washer on it, dont lose it like i did.

Step 2:

There are 2 more philips head screws that hold the bottom piece of plastic to the top piece. If you have an airbag, these are hidden until you turn the wheel a quarter turn either way. Put the key in and turn it to ignition to release the steering lock, turn the wheel, undo the 2 screws (1 either side)

Step 3:

You can now pull the bottom piece of plastic downards, careful of the right hand side, it'll be caught on the ignition barrell/key if you've still got it in the lock. I didnt need to take it off fully, just pull it down enough to clear.

Step 4:

With the bottom bit moved down, you can now pull the top bit up enough to clear the exit route for the old stalk. DONT BE A PILLOCK LIKE ME AND FORGET ABOUT THE PLASTIC AND MOVE THE WHEEL BACK TO CENTRE - THINGS BREAK - AS SHOWN BY THE PICTURE BELOW - BALL BAGS... If you're wondering, thats one of the plastic tabs that holds the top piece of plastic to the bottom piece when you put it back together... Not a massive problem, but will now have to be replaced...

Step 5:

With enough clearance, you'll be able to pull the old stalk out of its holder, it's clipped into a holder using 2 plastic clips, one on top, one on bottom. Don't pull it all the way out just yet, the multi-way plug is still connected to the back of the stalk.

Step 6:

In my case i was replacing this because a dodgy connection was meaning i had no flash capability, and no main beam. At this point, i doube checked the cable entry into the back of the multi-way plug, just incase there wer any loose ones .There wasnt, it was definately the stalk that was faulty.

Step 7:

The stalk is held onto the multi-way connector by another 2 plastic clips, these were a little more stiff, i jammed a small flat balde screwdriver into one and got a fingernail under the other one. Pull apart to remove and you're left with this.

Step 8:

Plug your new stalk in, clip the clips in, push the stalk and plug assembly back into the holder on the steering column. Put the top bit of plastic on first, then the bottom bit, they clip together at first, then secure together with the screws (Assemble in reverse order to taking it apart)

Final product...

Job Done! :thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Great tutorial.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
easy
i should of made tutorial when i did it lol
only problem i had was taking the pieces apart and fitting through steering wheel hole lol, and putting back together
(actually thinking about it, that might of been doing the LEDs lol)
good tutorial anyways mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
only took a few minutes more to snap some pics on the iphone as i went along, no biggy, but glad you appreciate.

Cheers, dave
Hi the pictures don't seam to be showing if its possible could you please re-upload them if you still have them as I need to do my stalk. Thanks :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pics back up, my bad :)

dave
Thanks Dave this guide will be a great help to me as my stalk might need replacing, it works fine but if it is canceled manually its a tad over sensitive and usually starts indicating the opposite direction, hopefully it might just need a good clean

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Defaintely sounds like a dodgy stalk, the contacts inside get dirty after a while and they just get dodgy like that. I made this tutorial because mine was ultra sensitive to the main beam flash coming on... So if i'd be slowing for a junction, and indicate, chances are it would flick high beam on for a second, then off, so I've just flashed whoever else was at the junction!, it made for some quick stops a few times, lol...

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
They are so cheap, if you're bothering to remove you may aswell replace

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, do both stalks just for the hell of it. Thing i learned about corsas after owning a few, if you're taking something off/apart just repalce it, and repalce anythign you touched getting to that part aswell.

I swear you could buy every bolt singularly for a corsa and have change from a tenner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts