All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to remove the Secondary Air Injection Pump fitted to X14/X16XE sport engines.

Tools Needed:

• 13mm socket
  • Ratchet Extension
  • Ratchet
  • Hose Clip Remover Tool (or large pliers)
  • Large Hammer
Time Taken:

• 20mins max

Total Cost:

• Nothing providing you have the tools.

Step 1 - Locate the SAI Pump in the engine bay of your X14XE or X16XE Sport. It's on the right, in front of the battery, behind the power steering reservoir.

Step 2 - Note where the output feed from the pump goes to, the silver turret looking thing is a valve into the exhaust manifold. This is where we will disconnect from, the valve remains untouched (unless you replace your exhaust manifold with a 4-2-1, then it disappears).

Step 3 - Behind the run of vacuum lines you'll see the looms sensor/wires that plug into a block on the pump and come out the other side with the power wires to run the pump. This is how the ECU controls whether the pump is on or off.

Unplug the ECU sensor from the block on top of the pump as shown, tuck the sensor plug out the way for now.

Step 4 - Locate the two 13mm bolts holding the pumps mounting braket into the engine bay. They are on the right hand side of the pump, at the bottom. You will need to use an extension on your ratchet for these.

The rear of the two bolts on mine was rusted and corroded extremely tight due to a previous battery acid leak. After sheering a 3/8" drive extension. I cracked out the 1/2" drive extension and breaker bar. It didn't stand a chance, sodding thing. Once cracked off, resume play with 3/8" drive socket.

You'll be left with this. In my case, removing the rear nut was only half the solution, as the battery acid had corroded the bolt body to the mounting bracket, and the base that the bracket was bolted to... This is where the hammer comes in... Whack the crap out of the mounting bracket until the corrosion breaks up and the bracket comes free.

Step 5 - Using your vauxhall approved hose clip removing tool (big pliers) pinch together the hose clip holding the pumps output pipe to the valve on the exhaust manifold. With it squeezed, slide the clip up along the hose to clear the valve, then slide the hose off of the valve barb.

You'll be left with this. Do not unplug the vacuum hose that enters this valve.

Step 6 - Lift out the pump and its mounting bracket, as long as you've removed the sensor plug and the pump output hose from the manifold valve then it should come free. You'll have a big empty space that looks like this now.

Overall shot

And this is what you've taken out, the pump at the top, the output hose on the left, and the round part on the right is the pumps intake filter. In this pic i've taken each part off of the pump, this isnt necessary, but makes it easier when taking it out. If you want to do this, just use the pliers to undo the 2 extra hose clips.

And voila! All done, you may want to take your battery off for a few hours to reset the ecu so it can learn of the change to its fuelling that you're going to create. Mine for example, turned over, fired, and then died on the first turn of the key. Started up fine the second turn and has been fine since. Pretty certain that was the ecu throwing a fit that it wasnt there, and then learning how to fuel the car at startup without the pump.

Job done. Dave :)

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get rid of an unsightly lump from the engine bay, get rid of the noisiest thing on starting car in the morning, save about 3Kg in weight (every little helps), and in my mind it feels smoother to rev on startup, could be psycholgical/placebo though, lol. The main reason also, i would guess is it has to be removed if you want to replace the exhaust manifold for a 4-2-1, i think. I havent done this, but plan to.

Dave

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
You can actually remove the device from the exhaust too and use a blanking plate and a bolt to cover the hole.

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can actually remove the device from the exhaust too and use a blanking plate and a bolt to cover the hole.
Oh can you? Fair enough, i didn't delve any deeper than the heatshield, lol. I take it you'd have to cap off that vacuum hose running to it?

Dave

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Stuck a screw in the end of mine :laugh:.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
I have a blanking plate somewhere guy on cs sells them

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Used mainly in hot countries to help starting it hotter atmospheres

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a blanking plate somewhere guy on cs sells them
Prob won't bother, might aswell just buy a new manifold and do the job properly, lol.

Stuck a screw in the end of mine :laugh:.
Classic bodge job there, lol. I guess it does the trick though.

What does/did it do? :confused:
As mark said, it's mainly used in environments not so much like the UK, lol. But the technical answer of what it does is this. It pumps air into the exhaust manifold on startup to compensate for the increased amount of unburnt fuel in the exhaust, this air and fuel mixture is what gets recirculated by the EGR valve.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
as long as it doesnt make the car run bad, i shall be doing this!!!

lee what size did you use to plug the hole dude? and was it easily accessible to do, as i dont have a manifold so ill be trying to blank it myself

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Are there no downsides to doing this then?
I've read in different places that it helps with hot starts, and others in cold starts?

Does the EGR system as a whole just reduce emissions or does it reduce fuel consumption too?

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
EGR just re-circulate exhaust gases.

No downside, not had one since fitted my engine over a year ago

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
as long as it doesnt make the car run bad, i shall be doing this!!!

lee what size did you use to plug the hole dude? and was it easily accessible to do, as i dont have a manifold so ill be trying to blank it myself
Use the bolt that holds the pump to the manifold, then just make or aquire a flat piece of about 30 x 15mm piece of metal, drill the whole for the bolt through it and then bolt it in place over the hole. I used exhaust paste too just to fill any gaps.

Just bear in mind them measurements are rough guestimates.

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
no benifits at all, i have mine still on and i have a 4-2-1 it makes no difference and it doesnt help start in warm? im sure it gets the car to the right temperature quicker iirc? and you also loose suction out of the metal thing left on the top of the manifold. waste of time imho :)

B.

ps, never the less i think i will be doing this anyway as it will make my bay look tidyer lol... hipocrit!!

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
How do you loose suction on it, if it has been removed? It is not there to get car to running temperature quicker either. It helps start in the warm in HIGH climate counties not in England ffs LOL

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What it does and doesnt do isnt really important if its been proved that removing it doesn affect running in any way. So as it doesnt affect running, the only chages are more space in the bay, and the weight saving of 3Kg or however much the pump weighs.

Win/Win IMO

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
its worth doing thsi and blanking the egr, vaux sell a blanking plate to do this. its also well worthwhile fitting a powerbox inlet.

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
does taking this off then affect the EGR?

B.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts