All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats needed
All the following bits were purchased at halfords:
1. Wet n Dry paper grades 600, 1200 and you may also need 1500, i didnt bother as i didnt sand it until the surface was completely smooth.

2. A couple of cans of Plastic primer (i used grey) try and find one closest to the colour your spraying and make sure its a plastic primer!

3. A couple of cans of spray paint of your choice

4. A bowl of warm soapy water to clean off the parts

5. small and medium Philips and Flatheaded screwdrivers

i also had a face mask so i didnt inhale too much spray paint, it is recommended!

1 removal

Remove all the parts that you want to spray, some parts can be delicate so dont get too aggressive about it and break them,

Vents
To remove the vents get a small flat head screwdriver, face the vent fully down and slip it in carefully, prise downward and it will dislocate out of place leaving a gap of a bout 3mm, insert the screwdriver into the right hand side of the vent and prise it off the mounting and then you should just be able to pull it out.

Vent housing
To remove the passenger side housing the vent must be removed to gain access to the two retaining screws, undo these and there is one more at the bottom right of the housing, to access it the glovebox has to be removed, there are 5 screws holding this in, 1 in each corner and one in the actual glovebox in the centre. once this is out the way the housing can be removed.
For the driver side, simply remove the fusebox cover and the vent and you will see 4 screws, you know the drill!

Instrument panel surround
You have to remove the ignition shroud to remove this part, there are two screws near the steering wheel centre, unscrewing these will mean you can remove the upper shroud, for the lower there are two more screws which are more clearly visible remove the shrouds. There are three screws holding on the surround on, one in the centre and two on each side remove these, and unclip the surround, make sure you dont lose the clip.

Door Handle covers
These are just the case of priseing them of using that flat head screwdriver, simple, they made need a bit of a wiggle to get them off completely

Mirror adjuster panels
Same as the handle covers just prise them off be careful not to damage them, i dont think the screwdriver will be neccessary for these ones

Centre console
Bit more tricky this bit, first remove the air recirulation k*** off (that slider in the middle!) then prise off the cover using that little flathead again you will now gain access to 2 screws. Now remove the vents like you did with the others and also remove the centre k*** rear window heater and hazard button, prise them off be careful not to break them. once all this is removed you will be able to unscrew the 4 retaining screws located behind the vents and recirulation control. withdraw the centre console, and unclip all the connectors etc, now its just a case of undoing any screws and clips holding the plastic panel onto the control panel, wasnt that bad was it!

Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of whats involved and what too look out for:

2 cleaning

Now with all the parts removed, it time for a good clean, wash all the parts in warm soapy water and dry thoroughly.

3 sanding

Get out you 600 grade wet n dry and start sanding away, if your planning on having a smooth finish then sand until the lumpy surface starts to fade away, the key here is to take you time dont expect to do it all in a single day, as the texture fades away using less corse wet n dry, move to the 1200 and then 1500 grit. once its all smooth and your happy with the finish wash the parts.

if your planning on leaving the texture finish on the plastic it is still neccessary to sand the surface, use the 600 grade to key the surface so that the primer will stick better to it. Again wash all the parts.

NOTE: the key to this is good preparation, dont rush, dont do a "that will do job" as you will regret it later on

4 priming

Once all your parts are cleaned and sanded lay them out in a relatively dust free, well ventilated area, i went in the garage, shake that primer can for a couple of minutes and spray it on a piece of news paper for a test piece, when its all good, start to spray those parts, dont rush and layer it on thick, the idea is to do smooth back and forth motion, makings sure that the whole piece is covered but make sure it lightly covered, too thick it will run too light and it will be streaky, let the first layer dry for about 10-15 minutes and continue to do 2-3 more layers making sure it is competely covered. let it dry and completely harden for at least 24 hours. and there you go.

5 Cleaning and sanding again!

Now you have successfully completed the primer stage you need to sand off any lumps of primer that the can might of spit onto it, dont panick if you take off some of the primer, simply do another layer clean the part first! use 1200 or 1500 grade to do this because you odnt want to sand it all off now! once all the parts are done, gently clean them in soapy water to get rid of any loose primer, let them dry and get ready for painting.

6 Painting

With your parts all clean and primed shake that paint can! as before do a test piece and do layers thin and smoothly, its better doing 7 light layers than 2 big ones. be more careful as this stage is obviously more important dont rush, give each layer plenty of time to dry, once your done your 2,3,4 or even 5 layers give it 24 hrs to harden although it make take upto 2 weeks to compeletly harden depending on which type of paint you use. Now stand back and admire you lovely bits!

7 Laquer

Use this if you want a nice shiny finish on your parts, although i didnt bother, once the paint has fully hardened, heat up a can of clear laquer (halfords also do this) put it in warm water for example if the can isnt heated up then it will dry milky! do a couple of light layers leaving plenty of drying time and there you have it nice shiny parts!

8 reassembly

Put all your parts back together carefully and dont scratch them for god sake!

Ideally you want to let all the parts harden for ad least 24hours be reassembly :thumbs_up:

There you have it! please feel fee to add any hints tips advice etc :)

I USED HALFORDS SPRAY CANS THE DRYING TIME MAY VARY DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU USE BE AWARE OF THAT!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Thats a really handy guide mate, gonna get down to halfords now hehe

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats ok mate, will try and get some more pictures shortly

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Good guide clutch.

Reactions: dan2211

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
How did you get the drivers side vent out, I have undone all the screws but all the light connects are still on and I cant seem to get these out.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Ok cheers, me + my mate was playing bout with it for ages just didnt want to pull anything to hard incase it broke. Will have a look for the clips now

·
Registered
585 Posts
There'll be one at the top and as you look from the side, you'll see how the bottom part of the vent section is in a kind of lip interfaced with the main light switch assembly. You need to prise the top notch open then pull it backwards then grab the bottom section and twist/pull it apart. You'll see what I mean once you have the whole section out.

I've done this at least twice....when I got my car one of the vent studs was broken so the vent wouldn't stay in. Then the PCB for the light dimmer switch broke on me so I ended up replacing it again :mad:

·
Registered
43 Posts
done some of this to my b dont think it looks to bad.

heres a few pics

made the grab handles smooth so no grained texture on them but everything else just got a coat of prom then about 4 coats of satin black.

what you think?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts