All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few requests i decided to make a tutorial on how to vinyl wrap your car. The panel in the tutorial is the front wing but the principles are the same for all the other panels.

Equipment:

-White sprits + rag
-heat gun
-Felt edged squeegee
-Scalpel
-Tape measure
-Vinyl
-a corsa b
and a second pair of hands.

Procedure
1. Prepare the area by sanding down any stone chips and then wipe with white sprits. (if there is any rust on the area that will need to be delt with first)

2. Measure the whole panel leaving about 3 inches of extra space each side and cut out said piece. Lay this piece over the panel (backing paper still on) and remove any large areas of excess to reduce wastage.

3. Remove the backing paper and lightly lay the vinyl onto the panel.

4. Start pushing the air bubbles out with the squeegee. (We have found it best to start on the flattest areas of the panel and working towards the curves)

5. When you get to the more curvy parts of the car you will need to start applying heat and stretching the vinyl. This part is the most difficult and can only be learned with practice. If you have bought decent vinyl it should be very forgiving and with heat go back to its original shape should you crease it.

6. Trimming and tucking. Once you have got the main part of the panel done you can use the scalpel to trim off the excess and start tucking the folding the edges around the.. erm edges

And the finished product should look something like this...

So there we go, easy as that!

Hope this is of some use to somebody.

If anyone want to see how the rest of the car turns out here is the progress thread:
http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/my-5door-student-45061.html

Cheers
Joe

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
I am very surprised how good this is coming out.

Would like to see it in the flesh one day before I pass judgement

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeh i forgot to add the bit about the indicator. Basically you just cut a hole slightly smaller than the hole in the car and then using some heat fold the edges around.

As for joints, most of them will be separate pieces for the different panels. The only really big piece will have to be for the bit that goes from the rear lights over the top of the doors.

Tbh im also surprised how good it has turned out, its not perfect and there are a few little bits that i would like to rectify if i have vinyl left over. We are getting much better at it as we go on so hopefully the standard of the panels should get better and better.

Cheers
Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.