All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to these forums, the name's RoxySpiral and I own a 1.2ltr 16 valve Corsa B

I wonder if anyone would be able to shed some light. I have a question based on pretty much no mechanical knowledge so bear with me.

About 8 months ago I came to a junction and found my revs all over the place. It would jolt horribly when accellerating or decellerating. In low revs it would try to stall. Dropped into local mechanic who fiddled, drove off in it, came back, car perfectly normal. It's the ICV, he said. It'll probably happen again and you'll need to replace it.

It did happen again about 2 months later. I did replace it, but it was intermittent. I replaced it with a good aftermarket one.

5 months later it happened again!!

Now, when the problem happened the first two times the car would go wrong in the middle of driving, and the revs were ERRATIC. When I unpluged the ICV, the revs would pulse in a REGULAR fashion with a small backfire sound. As the problem was intermittent I got used to this happening on and off a lot before it was fixed.

I assumed that any car would do this when the ICV was unplugged.

So when it went wrong again, this time I went to start the car it it just kept revving higher and higher. Put it in gear... the revs settled down to the same sort of pulsing with a small backfire sound, like when it was unplugged before. I assumed that it had stopped working at all, rather than some kind of fault like before.

I took it to the mechanic and when he turned it on and it was fine ( :palm: ) I said, oh that's ok I'll show you what it does, unplugged the ICV and... the difference in the engine sound was minimal. Nothing really happened. :eek:

Now I have put an original BOSCH ICV in, but I have a niggle in the back of my mind that it isn't the ICV... if you unplug the ICV during the fault and that regular pulsing rev happens, perhaps the fault isn't the ICV? Or does something happen in the cars computer that I don't understand. If the fault can occur then go away again for months... how do I know whether it's fixed or not??? :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you unplug the icv the car wont idle atall it will just stall
No, it doesn't. If I unplug the ICV when my car is running normally the engine pitch changes very slightly but the revs stay the same.

And when it plays up it does as I've described when I unplug it.

Sometimes I wonder what the point of having an ICV is!

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
have you cleared the ecus memory?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ecu got cleared the second time.

I dunno... I just worry that it might start playing up again.

It does other strange things too which come and go. I've tried to link it up with outside temperature or engine temperature...

Perhaps it's just cause it's an old car.

But... the main thing is, if the ICV wasn't working, surely when you unplugged it, the car should rev in the way that it does normally when I unplug the ICV (just a slight change in revs)

Or, does the information get stored on the computer and the car just revs according to the settings it's recently been given?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts