All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im fairly new here, well im turning 17 in a week and i am stuck between 2 cars and i have decided to go for the one that has the cheapest insurance. Does anyone know of any decent cheap insurers to go with. I dont mind going on my dads insurance or whether i go on my own i just want it cheap!
Hope you can help

·
Registered
393 Posts
going on your dad's insurance will probably be cheaper, but then there's the temptation for him to stop you driving 'if the conditions aren't good enough' i.e. snowing / rain, then the advantage of your own insurance comes into play.
tesco's seem to be reasonably cheap for 1st timers, my bro got a good deal from them, but it will probably depend on your area.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i was 20 when i started driving and that was just under a grand then, and thats in an ok area!
the first year always is the killer, it does drop a fair bit afterwards, then every year after that as you rack the no-claims bonus up (just don't crash!)

ive heard of lads getting over £2000 on their first year, so don't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Insurance companies are wise to whats known as FRONTING - ie you gettin a 1.2 8v corsa insuring it in your dads name with his NCD.

Know for a fact Norwich Union Direct apply loadings for this, so you would probably be better off getting your own policy asap build up your NCD.

Btw before anyone argues with me, Im in the insurance industry - loadings are being applied throughout the board.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I paid just under £500 for 6months insurance with Provident when i first got my car (1.4) , and at the end of the 6 months i got 1 years no claims bonus.

I now pay just under £500 for 1 years insurance with Loyds Tsb and i've only been driving since May 2006

·
Registered
22 Posts
well im goin on my dads on direct line that way i can earn my own no claims nd its gona cost me 1500 (robbin basterds) as im a lad nd its ma first car gona pay it off monthly because its only 103 quid a month so its only a small (ish) cunk out of my wage package

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I was paying £1500 on my first car, which was a 1.2 corsa.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I paid just under £500 for 6months insurance with Provident when i first got my car (1.4) , and at the end of the 6 months i got 1 years no claims bonus.

I now pay just under £500 for 1 years insurance with Loyds Tsb and i've only been driving since May 2006
I need to do that aswell, i need to build up some NCB fast

u got the link to the website?

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
What 1500, when I tried not a anywhere would do me under 2000. All my mates are the same and all of them got a smaller engine, they still get quotes of 3 grand and that. None of us can afford that so well on our mams or something for first year, would rather get no claims but cant afford to start

·
Registered
801 Posts
What Gez mentioned about insurance FRONTING... your better off getting your own insurance. Past experience:

I insured on my dads insurance on a 1.2 corsa, just passed my test at 17 - Cost me £1200 fully comp as a second driver. 2nd year - dropped to £700, still under my dads name as a second driver. 3rd year - dropped to £326 - THEN I got the letter from CIS explaining that they were assuming I drove the car more than my father and that they do not want to keep my policy active, they bumped my insurance back up to £700 as it was something to do with age and second drivers.

Being on your own insurance also builds up your no claims, on my starlet for a single years no claims - they knocked £110 off my yearly payment.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.