All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Corsa C 1.2 16v SXi Twinport (55 reg) and have the occasional problem whereby if I start the engine when it's warm it can struggle to start and then when I first move away it can be jumpy. It doesn't last for very long (only a few seconds) but I would like to get the problem sorted and wondered if anyone knew what it may be?

I have done some research online and I don't know if its the MAF, CTS, Lambda sensor, EGR or Crank shaft.....

There was a service done by the dealership (not main dealer) just before I purchased it at the end of jan last year, but I'm not sure how indepth it was. I've done about 10-12k in it since then.

So I replaced the air and fuel filters but made no difference.

I did the pedal test but no codes seemed to show up.

Could it be the coolant temp sensor? I may replace that if so as it's cheap and easy. However, I have also read about people changing the crank shaft sensor but wouldn't that make it cut out more rather than just struggle to start?

Does a failing CTS not always produce a fault code?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
A weak CTS won't throw a fault code, they go gradually and hot start problems are often a sign that they are beginning to go.

But it can be caused by other things as well - eg if your battery is slightly below par the extra compression in a hot engine will make restarts a bit hesitant.

Given that a CTS is cheap and easy to do it's certainly worth replacing if only to rule out one possible cause.

The service done before you purchased it may not have been a major one - often they only do an oil change and count the wheels. You certainly need to replace the oil if it hasn't been done since. But I'd put a new set of spark plugs in as well - that may well make things better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A weak CTS won't throw a fault code, they go gradually and hot start problems are often a sign that they are beginning to go.

But it can be caused by other things as well - eg if your battery is slightly below par the extra compression in a hot engine will make restarts a bit hesitant.

Given that a CTS is cheap and easy to do it's certainly worth replacing if only to rule out one possible cause.

The service done before you purchased it may not have been a major one - often they only do an oil change and count the wheels. You certainly need to replace the oil if it hasn't been done since. But I'd put a new set of spark plugs in as well - that may well make things better.
Brilliant thank you. I did wonder about getting the spark plugs changed too but I think to start with I will definitely replace the CTS and see how it goes.

When I replace this I understand it is just a straight swap - is there any need to disconnect the battery?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts