All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My corsa (2001, 1L engine, 94000 on clock) has been making a loud clicking sound from the engine since i bought it. I took it anyway as thought it would be easy to fix. Finally getting it together 5 months later and in the last 2 weeks I've brought it to 5 mechanics. First guy said it was something to do with a previous owner not putting enough oil into it, think he mentioned the tappets needing to be replaced(€200-300 job) . Second guy said it was the camshafts and that these could be replaced or might just need adjusting and that this would be cheaper than the last job. 3rd guy said it was the pistons and that the whole engine would need replacing as it wouldn't be worth taking it all apart. 4th guy said it was just the chain that had to be replaced. He sent me on to a 5th guy who said that yes, it was the timing belt, and he'd charge €250 to replace it. Can anyone tell me if this is a good price and will the engine still make a noticeable clicking noise after it's been changed? I've heard the sound doesn't fully go away, and if it doesn't are there any other ways to improve the sound, water pump replacement or something along those lines? Any opinions welcome, Thanks.

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
With that mileage i'd be reluctant to pour a lot of money into the engine to make it quieter.

If i remember the 1 litres all use a timing chain and if the oil changes aren't done regular enough the engine oil that lubricates the chain doesn't do it's job as well and then you get premature wear.

Hard to offer advise though without at least a video to try and diagnose the type of noise you're hearing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I had my chain replaced at 82k, it made the engine a lot quieter. The 3 cylinder engines are naturally rattly though, as Hardcore said without a video it's going to be hard to diagnose what it could be.

A tip Taurus has said before is to put a long screw driver to parts of the engine (careful while the engine is running though, you don't want to get it in any moving parts) and listen to see if it's coming from the top or bottom end.

It's never going to be silent though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like what's going on in this video. I know but I want to fix it up abit as I doubt anyone will buy it off me with that sound, so would be worth spending about 250 I'd say..

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
It depends if you are wanting to keep it or sell it.

If keeping then £250 to replace the chain is a fair price and worth spending on a car you plan to keep.

If selling, well you aren't going to get a fortune for an 11 year old 12v Corsa with 94k on it, so you probably won't get the £250 back on the sale price. You might be better off selling it saying it needs the timing chain doing and drop the price accordingly. There's plenty of folks who will buy it to do themselves and save themselves some money at the same time. That way you're both better off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts