All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, a quick question, I've received a call-back for a job I applied for in IT support.

There is no salary advertised on the job listing. The job is shift based, 12hour shifts on a full time contract 7am-7pm and 7pm-7am. So one can assume that some shifts are night shifts.

A regular 9-5 job in this sector doing this job would earn you anywhere from £17-19k. What would adding 12hour shift patterns and possibly nights onto it change the salary expectations to?

Thanks all, Dave.

·
18,555 Posts
In some cases yes, however is it always a nightshift? For example one of our teams are 24/7 and do some weeks of nights, some as days. They earn OK money (although I guess probably low for London).

12 hour shift patterns usually mean you get more days off so that wouldn't really come into it I guess.

Personally if it was nights I would expect higher wage for doing it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I wouldn't know to be honest but have you tried googling something like

"How much does an IT technician for 'company name' get paid annually"

Could throw up a result
Sorry if you've already done this though

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In some cases yes, however is it always a nightshift? For example one of our teams are 24/7 and do some weeks of nights, some as days. They earn OK money (although I guess probably low for London).

12 hour shift patterns usually mean you get more days off so that wouldn't really come into it I guess.

Personally if it was nights I would expect higher wage for doing it.
It's not permanent nights by the looks of it, no. It's a mixed shift pattern of some days some nights. If assume similar to what you said.

And yeh I'd assume its higher wage too but as it wasn't stated its bound to be asked at interview and don't want to price myself out of the job if they think I'm demanding too much... Lol.

The base salary for the normal job, nights aside, is tons more than I'd earn in Maplin or any retail job tbh, which is fine, I just want to get what the job deserves to pay.

Dave

Edit - also this is local job, not London rates so I guess limited there, but travel would be cheap and easy..

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
For most companies i've worked with, when it comes to really late finishes or night shift hours, you usually get paid a premium for unsociable hours (only when paid per hourly rate). If it's a salary based wage though, then generally it's factored in with that instead.

Do the longer shifts work out more hours per week though?

I do 10.5 hours a day, but i only work 4 days a week

·
8,051 Posts
If it's on shift, then you should see more for the period you work the night shift. how much would depend on the company. do you have any idea of their staff turnover? Could be an indication of whether the pay is enough to justify a 12hr night shift

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For most companies i've worked with, when it comes to really late finishes or night shift hours, you usually get paid a premium for unsociable hours (only when paid per hourly rate). If it's a salary based wage though, then generally it's factored in with that instead.

Do the longer shifts work out more hours per week though?

I do 10.5 hours a day, but i only work 4 days a week
The night shifts are still 12hour, it's 12hoir regardless, either 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am. From the looks of the listing it'd appear to be annual salary based rather than hourly rate.

If it's on shift, then you should see more for the period you work the night shift. how much would depend on the company. do you have any idea of their staff turnover? Could be an indication of whether the pay is enough to justify a 12hr night shift
Very true, I've not seen any jobs advertised by them before the, and I look fairly regularly, but yeh that is a good shout. I'd only take the job if I felt comfortable with the arrangers though.

Cheers for te replies guys

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
might not be much help, but when i worked at sainsburys. I was told that the night shift in the supermarkets, got a "night shift premium" at each pay check. Which was something like 150 quid. For working all night shifts.

·
7,449 Posts
Sounds very similar to the shift pattern I do:

7am-7pm, 7am-7pm, 7am-7pm, 7pm-7am, 7pm-7am
4 days off
7am-7pm, 7am-7pm, 7pm-7am, 7pm-7am, 7pm-7am
5 days off
7am-7pm, 7am-7pm, 7pm-7am, 7pm-7am
5 days off
repeat

But mine is NHS frontline so salary could be vastly different

1 - 9 of 9 Posts