All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've got a P reg Corsa B 1.2 8v
(Vegas if we want to get specific, although would probably be the most out of place thing on the planet cruising down the strip lol)

But a little while ago it started kangarooing (juddering, jerking, feeling like it was trying to run on 1 and a half cylinders, best I can describe it) then one day it totally died when I was conveniently in the middle of the road at a T junction. Eventually managed to start again only when throttle held down.

I was trying to figure out what it was, then realized a hissing noise coming from an air line from the plenum chamber(if that's what it is, sits on throttle body) to the throttle body. The crappy little rubber end was brittle and broken. So I swapped the other line with it, the one that just operates a lil flap in the air box, and plugged the holes.

But then, it started doing it again. I asked someone at work, and they reckoned it is probably the single point injector, and said it wasn't worth trying to clean it, just get a replacement. So did that, also got another air line from the scrappy. That seemed to sort it.

Until yet again, it has started happening. and now I don't know what it is.
Seemed to me that its either got to be a lack of fuel, or lack of spark. but seems to only happen between idle and about 3k revs, and then only when at full throttle, or at least more than half throttle.

Seems strange if its a fuel problem because surely you need a greater flow rate at 5k revs at full throttle than you do at 2k revs full throttle?

Someone said it might be worth trying to remove the fuel lines and blowing through any crap in them. But I don't like the odds of starting a fire. Would redex be any good, as they claim it cleans out your fuel system.

Also, fuel filter was changed last year. Injector already changed. unless the pump has picked an odd range to die in, I'm not convinced its a fuel issue.
Serviced about 6 months ago. and Changed the HT leads as the old ones looked poo.

Tried using the search function, but that's only as good as the person using it, so about as good as tits on fish.
So thought I'd come here and ask the all knowing vauxhall nerds, as you probably are a lot smarter than me.

Thanks.

Just realised I've written loads there, so:
If you can't be bothered to read all that
Between Idle and 3k revs, juddering when at full throttle. especially under load. Seems to not do it as much if you feather the clutch and rev it loads like you're a learner driver.

Any info/ideas welcome, cheers.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
If it's the type with a distributor rather than the later DIS module then check the state of the distributor cap and rotor arm. Specifically the condition of the contacts around the cap for the HT leads, and the state of the central carbon brush. Look at the point on the rotor arm where the central brush connects, and the edge which it contacts the 4 outer terminals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this never really seems to have got the response I was hoping for, but thought i'd give an update just in case anyone has a similar problem.
But anyways, thought it had gone away. until I filled the tank to the brim. then instantly was like the worst it has ever been. so pretty sure this has got to be a fuel pump issue. not sure how/if you can test it as it. so probably going to fit a new one.
Anybody know where I can pick one up cheap? and/or know of how to thread anywhere?
Cheers guys

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Possibly there's contamination in the tank?

The fuel pump is under the rear seat - follow the manual re. removal. It's all straightforward. I'd run the tank as low as you can, remove the pump - bearing mind that an empty tank is more explosive than a full one (it's the fumes that explode) drain the tank using a siphon and check for water or crud in there.

If you're replacing the pump then do the above when removing the old pump. If there is contamination in there it will damage the new pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would contamination not cause problems when the tank is almost dry rather than full? and surely it wouldn't go away over 3000 revs. :s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts