All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have had a knock coming from the front end of my 2005 Corsa C SXi. It seems to be coming from the drivers side more predominately.
Knocks when going slowly over rough ground and at speed if you hit a bump 'right'

So far I have changed:
Drivers Side Shock + Top Mounts
Anti Roll Bar Links
Wishbones
Ball Joints
Drivers Side Inner Track Arm

But the knock is still there.

I have checked the subframe bolts, and they are all tight.
I have checked the steering rack bolts and it has had the recall as it has nuts to stop the bolts loosening.

What else could it be?

Help appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure. It looked fine when I put it in, but I wasn't paying full attention as it was a good 2nd hand part dated 2009 (complete strut)

I just will ad, as I forgot to mention it.... You can really only hear the knock/clunk when you are inside the car.
If you drive Ace Ventura style, you can't hear it from the outside.

I think the CV joints are all ok, (of course I will still check them again) as I have to use full lock to manoeuvre the car into my parking space and haven't noticed any clicking

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see your thinking, but if it was that then it would knock/clunk all the time?
I have had a bar on all the other mounts and there is no play in any of them.

I am thinking that it may be the brake pads as when I took them off, there is none of the anti rattle clips holding them.

Any other suggestions welcome and appreciated though

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Might sound stupid, but have you checked to make sure there's nothing loose and rolling about inside? I was looking everywhere for a clunk, turned out it was a can of brake cleaner under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.
It isn't on pull away or under acceleration, it is driving slowly over rough ground and if you hit bumps 'right' at speed.
It isn't anything knocking around inside as I do keep the interior very clean and tidy.

Been out in it today, and checked the CV's and there is no clicking from them at all.

Thanks again, and all suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It isn't brake pads, I have driven over rough ground with the brakes on to hold the pads still and it still clunks.

I think it is my steering rack, as I have checked it (the way everyone says, EPS light on and wiggle the steering wheel) and it does clunk so there is a bit of play in that when there shouldn't be

·
Registered
58 Posts
It isn't brake pads, I have driven over rough ground with the brakes on to hold the pads still and it still clunks.
How hard did you have the brakes on? Had a very similar issue on my last car - a Vectra - rattling and knocking that appeared to be coming from the front. After two of us spending a week investigating, turned out it was the rear brake pads. Holding the brakes on gently made no difference, but driving with the handbrake slightly on (only for a few seconds) stopped the noise altogether. New rear pads and it was sorted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I had the brakes on reasonably gently. I am going to be replacing the front pads soon, even though they are only a bit more than halfway through their life, they don't have any clips. Next time I go out, I will give the handbrake a try as the handbrake isn't fantastic as it is!
I was reasonably sure that it was coming from the front, until I replaced nearly everything!

Just to update - I have fitted a reconditioned steering rack, new track control arms, new track rod ends and had the tracking done.
I have been out today and made 100% certain that all the bolts I undone to replace the rack are very tight.

Another possibility is the steering knuckle? Are my symptoms synonymous with that wearing?

Thanks for the replies, I thought this thread would be pretty much dead!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.