All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone say's anything, I know there are numerous forums with this problem, but all date back way before 2012/2013.

I own a:

VAUXHALL CORSA C
44,000 miles
Petrol 1.2L Twinport
Manual
3 doors
SXI (79).

My Problem :palm:,

When I'm stationary, I flick my steering wheel left and right, and it flicks the other way with a knocking noise. If I move the steering wheel and let go I get a very weird noise. Sort of like knocking!

I've heard people say CV Joint, but I turned it full lock and drove round in a circle and had no noise?

Does anyone else have any ideas what it might be? :confused: Would it be an MOT Failure?

Duncan

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Best thing to do is jack car up, tell someone to turn wheel and find out where the noise is coming from if it does when it's jacked up. Does the noise happen in a straight line? And also as you get faster, does the speed of the knocking get faster?

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
If you rock the steering wheel left and right, is there a clunk every time it changes direction?? If so it's going to either be inner rack ends that have worn, or outer track rod ends. If you're very unlucky it'll be a worn rack.

And yes if its noticeable enough (especially at the road wheels) then it can faill an MOT.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Alternatively it could be the column itself. Check if there's any play in the shaft - grip the steering wheel top & bottom and check for play, then at both sides and repeat. If the upper section is OK have a look at the lower joint - get someone to move the wheel whilst you have your hand on the shaft, if you feel the knock then you can track it down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have an 05 1.2 corsa that also makes thnis noise both with engine running and stoped it still passed an mot so must be acceptable ????

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
i have an 05 1.2 corsa that also makes thnis noise both with engine running and stoped it still passed an mot so must be acceptable ????
what is it thats making the noise on your car? Theres a whole host of items that can make a similar noise, and the severity of the issue will depend entirely on each car individually. You can't say that a noise on one car is nothing so another noise on another car must also be nothing too... Besides, even if yours has passed its MOT, I'd still be looking to find out wahts causing the noise, things that are in perfect heath dont make noises.... Just because you have a 12month ticket doesnt mean your car is fine and dandy for 12months now adn you can ignore it all..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts