All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had a ton of work done to my Corsa c 1.2 sxi twinport to try and figure out why it is randomly lacking in power and I think I'm just going to give up and try to get it sold. Spent around £1100 getting new lambdas, 2 new mafs, throttle bodie, ECU repaired and I've been to 2 separate mechanics, the last of whom said he "just didn't know" which I really appreciated to be honest, wasn't even going to charge me for changing the new lambda.
Really am at the end with this car. Just wanted to know a few things:
1. has anyone else done all the things that I've done and found a solution to the problem?
2. If I sell the car now (in reasonably condition but barely able to do 20mph) what are my options for asking price and whats the best way to go about selling?

I genuinely give up

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
What was the fault finding and elimination process you followed to be able to come to the conclusions to replace those parts?

What test have been done to the engine?

What were the results of those tests?

Seems a lot of money to be spending on a corsa, I'd have stopped at about £200 lol

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
When this sort of problem comes my way I usually get the owner to drive the car whilst I sit in the passenger seat and monitor the engine using the live data reading on opcom. Usually you can spot something glitching that gives you a clue - it can take time which is why workshops won't do this sort of thing (customers won't pay for time spent catching intermittent problems).

Sometimes it's the least expected things that show up - which then fools the ECU into doing something silly. Watching it happen live is sometimes the only way to catch it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was the fault finding and elimination process you followed to be able to come to the conclusions to replace those parts?

What test have been done to the engine?

What were the results of those tests?

Seems a lot of money to be spending on a corsa, I'd have stopped at about £200 lol
Ok, so first left it in to the mechanic to sort out a few things for the MOT. A lack of power was not one of these issues but when I got the car back it was a completely new issue. The car was dipping in power and picking up power randomly.
Had a new throttle body fitted. Didn't help. The mechanic read the codes and said it needed a new MAF and Lambda. I checked the codes myself and sure enough it read that the issue was with the MAF and Lambda. That didn't work. Codes ended up coming back the exact same He then said the ECU must be reading faulty so I got that repaired and everything seemed grand for a day, then the same power issue kicked in. Read the codes again and it said P0100 and P0170. I informed a new mechanic of this and he said that it may be the lambda. Had that replaced by him, still didn't do any good, in fact the car refuses to go more than 15 miles an hour. Talked to the second mechanic and he was genuinely at a loss. :(:(:(:(

What options do I have?
Is there even a chance I could get it sold for a grand in this state?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When this sort of problem comes my way I usually get the owner to drive the car whilst I sit in the passenger seat and monitor the engine using the live data reading on opcom. Usually you can spot something glitching that gives you a clue - it can take time which is why workshops won't do this sort of thing (customers won't pay for time spent catching intermittent problems).

Sometimes it's the least expected things that show up - which then fools the ECU into doing something silly. Watching it happen live is sometimes the only way to catch it.
Do you mean that live the codes may read differently and possibly to a different problem?

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
He means with op-com there is functionality to be able to read live data blocks from the ECU. As in, you can read the sensor voltages and feedback voltages from them all live, as the engine is running. Sometimes in doing this you will notice a sensor voltage or feedback signal behaving erratically that would not otherwise throw up an error code.

Obviously this isnt something you can do by yourself, needs two people.

It seems very suspicious that this occured straight after it was left at a garage for MOT work, what work did they carry out? It sounds like they've either disturbed something or broken something to cause this new fault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.