All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, again lol

A friend of mine wants a install for his car, the usual stuff really a sub and amped comps and 6x9s (he wont listen) but he wants to keep the standard headunit, it looks better because its flush and the same colour as the dash and he doesnt want to lose his steering wheel controls and display.

So i told him needs a line level converter (connects to speaker wires so he has RCA outs) i was wondering if you can use more than one? or can you get one that has two sets on RCAs on them? he wont be changing the rear speakers so if he added the converter to those wires will that disrupt them and lose power?

Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
so he wants standard rear speakers, 6x9s, comps, and a sub?

that'll sound nice.........

you can just "tap into" the rear speaker wire. As you know the signal is a hi level signal, you just need to convert this to a low level output with RCA plugs on the end.

There are 2 cheap ones available, from VIBE (£13) and Directed electronics (about £20)

IIRC, the directed version has 2 pairs of rca outs.

if he wants the best of the best, then he can get a very smart little unit, made by JL Audio, called the CleanSweep. This has a few out puts, and has lots of twiddly knobs on it. obvviously this isnt so cheap, prices start at £400 ish lol. i can get them cheaper though ;)

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so he wants standard rear speakers, 6x9s, comps, and a sub?

that'll sound nice.........
Ino ino lol but he wont listen, but i can convince his dad to change what he wants. lol

Yeh i saw the vibe one that was it, will have a look at the Directed Electronics one thanks :thumbs_up: will let him know

·
Registered
197 Posts
Kenwood

I have also looked into replacing the head unit and speakers and found that Kenwood do systems that directly connect to the steering wheel remote controls so you don't loose the use of them. They also do head units that you can plug MP3 players into (loads of music, no CD's!).

Oh and if it's a model C Corsa then you can get a replacement panel that converts the hole from double DIN to single DIN (Look on http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk).

Alternatively you could go for a double DIN system, probably cost more though.

I'm sure they're not the only company that do this, maybe someone out there knows any others?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have also looked into replacing the head unit and speakers and found that Kenwood do systems that directly connect to the steering wheel remote controls so you don't loose the use of them. They also do head units that you can plug MP3 players into (loads of music, no CD's!).

Oh and if it's a model C Corsa then you can get a replacement panel that converts the hole from double DIN to single DIN (Look on http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk).

Alternatively you could go for a double DIN system, probably cost more though.

I'm sure they're not the only company that do this, maybe someone out there knows any others?
Alpine, pioneer and sony to name a few also do steering wheel adaptors :thumbs_up:

Quite a few headunits these days have an ipod plug mate. the adaptors are quite expensive though. i think the adaptor kenwood use is a USB stick, that'll look really nice sticking out of your dash lol

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My kenwood ipod apdator cost me £50, and im still waiting for it :( although its safer than flicking through while your driving and does charge it up

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
a lot amps nowadays have hi level inputs, i think this means you can just buy the high level input plug and tap it from a speaker line.
don't just go off what im saying though cos i dont know for definate, but thats what iv been told.

and tell him not to bother with the rears or 6X9s, itll sound **** lol.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine has a high level output on it, iv always wondered what that was lol, all i thought it was was an alternate way to wire it up without RCA's

·
Registered
197 Posts
iPod plug who the F* uses iPods how about a 20Gb USB Hard Disk Drive (£40) enough space for about 10,000 songs. That's why I like USB ports, oh and most ICE have them on the back so the drive can be hidden away from thieving scrotes LOL!

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
iPod plug who the F* uses iPods how about a 20Gb USB Hard Disk Drive (£40) enough space for about 10,000 songs. That's why I like USB ports, oh and most ICE have them on the back so the drive can be hidden away from thieving scrotes LOL!
How do you power them then? I'm guessing tapping into the wiring for the headunit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mine has a high level output on it, iv always wondered what that was lol, all i thought it was was an alternate way to wire it up without RCA's
yer basically, the signal sent FROM an amp TO a speaker is a "high level" signal. So an amp that accepts high level signal, means you can just tap into speaker wire and use the signal from this - instead of buying a new hu with a pre/sub out :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So how are you supposed to carry around and listen to a usb hard disk...

An ipod is more practical, its a proper mp3 player which you can carry around and listen to then it can be plugged into your car audio, and i think you will find all ipod adaptors are at the back of headunits and usually placed in the glovebox out of site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts