All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

So I bought my Corsa SRI 1.4 early November. I noticed a couple of weeks after having it that it had lost a fair bit of coolant.

I spoke to a family mechanic and he said to top it up and keep an eye on it.

It was fine for around a month and I've noticed again today its half way from the fill line. I have spoke to Vauxhall's and they've told me it will cost £85 to diagnose if it has a leak and worse case scenario could be the head gasket.

There is no visible leaks, no problem with heating etc. I have only noticed the loss by looking under the bonnet.

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Small leaks can be very difficult to spot - even under a pressure test they don't always show up.

A tiny leak will only open up under pressure when the system is hot, and then only emit a small amount of water vapour as steam, then close as soon as it cools down. Sometimes the only way to spot them is either to look for traces of coolant deposit, or to chec at night using a strong thin torch beam. Steam shows up easier that way.

But to be honest sometimes you just never find them - in which case a dose of radiator sealant can solve the problem. (Just don't use repeat doses as that's when it starts to clog things up.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks for that. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning to have a pressure test done. SO fingers crossed! Also I checked the oil cap this morning and it has a white/yellow gunk on it. Could this be to do with the head gasket?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts