All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 55 plate 1.0 corsa with 33,000 miles. In the past 6 months the engine is sounding tappy, especially after doing about 70mph on the dual carriageway, when i stop at lights i can hear it with the windows up. I topped the oil up and the noise was quieter but now it is back to normal.

Also a few months ago i noticed a little oil underneath but it stopped after about 2 days.

Last week the oil light came on, but only when i was going very slow or i had stopped (at traffic lights). I noticed then nxt morning a small patch of oil on the floor and the same day i topped it up with 2 litres.

Now everywhere i go there is puddle of oil or drops when i move my car. I have looked under the bonnet and can see it leaking.

It is booked in for a service tomorrow, so hopefully should get the oil leakage fixed but have googled about the tapping noise and have seen comments about a timing chain which can cost up to £450? I have also seen that the tapping could be due to lack of oil on the chain, and if i have an oil leak/blockage this would kinda explain it.

Just wanted to get a little bit of knowledge before hearing what the mechanics have to say and i dont want to get ripped off as i know nothing about cars other than how to put petrol and screen wash in!

I am planning to get a new car in the next couple of months, obviously i want to get the best price i can for it so i dont want to sell it dodgy.

Thanks

Emma

·
Registered
891 Posts
Where's the car booked in to, a Vauxhall dealer or a small independent garage?

Don't count on a service to pick up an oil leak, they likely won't even check unless you specify searching for an oil leak, in which case it isn't service, it's repair.

Whereabouts are you Emma? Do you have anyone in your family/circle of friends who are a bit more savvy about cars than yourself?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is booked in with Formula 1 Auto Centres in Derby, close to where i live.

Unfortunately the only person who is a little bit more savvy about cars is the old man who is on holiday for the next 2 - 3 weeks! :(

·
Registered
891 Posts
If you're topping up with 2 litres of oil, that's getting on for 60% of your total capacity, so unless you're happy to keep topping up at this rate, it can't wait for the old man to get home.

If you look underneath, do you get any idea of where the oil is leaking from?
Down the left hand side of the sump? The right hand side? Down the back? Everywhere or just a specific point on the engine that's possibly obscured by an engine part?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the puddles underneath it, it looks like its dropping from the right hand side, towards the front, but i can also see spots in the middle towards the front. When i opened the bonnet to look to see if i figure out where it was coming from, i could see oil over the right hand side.

I think i will tell the mechanics tomorrow that there is an oil leak and then if they have to repair it they have to repair it, i just dont want to spend loads when i plan to get rid of it!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think i will tell the mechanics tomorrow that there is an oil leak and then if they have to repair it they have to repair it, i just dont want to spend loads when i plan to get rid of it!
Doesn't sound like you'll need to, I think they'll see it right enough
No guarantee of certainty but it sounds like crankcase oil seal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks for your help. I just went outside and had a look and it seems like its coming from the oil pressure switch, there is fresh oil all around it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'll take your word for it
I had no idea they could leak so profusely

Probably easier (read cheaper) to replace than the crank seal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts