All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just got a 2000 reg 1.2 16v corsa and got it for my lad who as just passed test and i knew it had problems, got it cheap, 49000 miles, it does not start so took top off and checked spark, thats ok, checked fuel thats ok, did compression test but gauge hardly moves across all 4 pots, same reading wet and dry, im guessing timing, can chain jump and throw timing out to the point that hardly any comp regs on gauge, any help would be great, thanks:)

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Welcome

The chain can stretch and jump, though to be fair it is not common unless it's been abused. Certainly to fail at 49k suggests lack of maintenance. If that has happened it's almost certainly caused piston to valve contact which will mean some bent valves.

The timing on them is a bit unusual in that there are virtually no timing marks on the engine, you need to use a kit to time them up.

The saving grace is that they're not a bad engine to work on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for advice, only thing that i cant figure out is if its jumped and bent valves why does it not sound like it when i turn car over, also i can push valves down with screwdriver from top under tappets and they seem smooth, if you know what i mean, cheers, rob:confused:

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Not sure what sound you're expecting. Bent valves just sound like an engine turning over with low compression. But if compression is low on all cylinders and doesn't improve with oil added to them then it's usually pretty conclusive that the head has to come off to check and rectify the cause.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, never doubted head off, went over car again today and in coolant expansion tank its clear water, looked like it had just been added, closer inspection i put finger around inside expansion tank wall and theres thick black oil, im thinking last owner drained tank and just put water in ( fooled me lol ), oil looks to fresh aswell, so its either hg or timing, moneys on hg:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts