All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its scraping,its dropped 80mm on the rear and about 60 on the front,on 16"speedlines with 195/45 tyres,it seems to be catching on the plastic both front and back,its even pulled the front one partly off,its so doing my head in as i want it to be right,is it true tht i can grind the plastic down?cheers lads,Liam:welcome:

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Hey mate glad you signed up from CS :welcome:

Fook me that is low - i'm not sure of all the things that can be done but i'm sure someone with lowering knowledge will be online at some point and be able to help you out :thumbs_up:

Also moved thread to better section for you :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
i assume lowering your car changes ur insuranace, any one know ruffly by how much? and how much do places charge to change the springs?

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can trim about 1/2 inch from the plastic arch from the inside all the way around.. That's what my brother had to do on his corsa (17's lowered 50mm)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Silly question, but why lower the car so much to make it virtually undriveable on UK roads ?

80mm drop would leave you with about 40mm of rock hard suspension travel, The whole idea of suspension is to keep the rubber in contact with the road.

I've done a fair bit of time on the track, and I'd not want to drive a car on any of the ones I've been on with such little suspension travel (apart from negotiating speed bumps, kerbs, chipping teeth, loosening fillings etc etc)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Silly question, but why lower the car so much to make it virtually undriveable on UK roads ?

80mm drop would leave you with about 40mm of rock hard suspension travel, The whole idea of suspension is to keep the rubber in contact with the road.

I've done a fair bit of time on the track, and I'd not want to drive a car on any of the ones I've been on with such little suspension travel (apart from negotiating speed bumps, kerbs, chipping teeth, loosening fillings etc etc)
they are adjustable coilovers not 80 pounds lowering springs,i can adjust softness of the shocks so it doesnt make them virtually undriveable does it

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
18,555 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you dont drive with them on lol, its so you can compress the new and old springs when removing or installing them!
yeh mate hes right,u just use them to compress the spring so tht when u un done the top spring cup nut,the spring wont fire off causing bad damage,lol,although halfords do sell some tht u can use while on ur car lol,wouldnt recomend em tho,

So is it true tht i can grind away at my plastics n arches to get rid of scrubbing???

·
Registered
498 Posts
so you compress the spring, and it comes off? lol i did think it seemed a bit strange!
So its as simple as buying some springs, and some clamps, and its an easy swap??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so you compress the spring, and it comes off? lol i did think it seemed a bit strange!
So its as simple as buying some springs, and some clamps, and its an easy swap??
yeh pretty much,and having a drop neck spanner and i think the other is an 8 mm,also for the back i havent ot a clue wat the other guy means by using a bar,u just un done the rear shocks and the rear arms should drop down,allowing removal of the springs,lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
they are adjustable coilovers not 80 pounds lowering springs,i can adjust softness of the shocks so it doesnt make them virtually undriveable does it
What I was getting at was with such a short travel, you would have to harden them up to avoid hitting the bump stops or the wheels touching the body, which makes for a very harsh ride. I've seen a fair few cars which are very low, and the car is bouncing at every pothole. They look OK when parked up, but downright dangerous when being driven !

1 - 20 of 40 Posts