All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm planning to lowering my car when funds are more available and if it is relatively easy to do but I don’t want to go ridiculous with how much I lower it because it gets to a point where it looks stupid to me. So could you guys please post up a picture of your car (side on) with a description of how much it is lowered, the list of parts you needed and if you can, where you sourced them from along with any other information you feel is relevant?

FYI: My rims are 15" with 195/50/15 tyres.

Regards, Dan :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
this is mine lowered 60mm at rear and about 40 at front. but would usually be a bit more lower at back but nothing in it so no weight,also there no arches on front so actually looks lower when there on.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Check my project thread mate, I ahve same car and all the pics in there (towards the end) are when my car was lowered 40 front 60 rear, I also have same size tyres and wheels

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Second thought, I just looked as your wheels, what offset are they they look abit wide, might have some issues

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Second thought, I just looked as your wheels, what offset are they they look abit wide, might have some issues
If you mean width they are 6J, am I able to lower the front and back 40mm? As I think 60mm at the back looks too low.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
have a look at my project, mine is 40mm all round but my wheels stick out cuz the offset is different

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have a look at my project, mine is 40mm all round but my wheels stick out cuz the offset is different
I like the look of 40mm all round, are your rims and tyres the same dimensions as mine and what is your offset? Could you please link me to all the parts you used to lower it please?

Thanks for the help but I still don't really understand it (annoyingly). Do you think you could put it in 'idiot language' for me and tell me how to work it out?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am defiantly going for 40mm all round, is this the right thing to buy? Link. Will I need anything else such as shocks or will my standard shocks be ok?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
standard shocks should be fine although may have tiny bit bumpy im on 60mm and when i lowered back that was ok its the front that will make it so bouncy
Cheers, can I get a second opinion on this from another memeber just to make it final please.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
you will need spring clamps if you buy those, which will be another 10-20quid. you will also need swan neck spanners 10-20 quid again..

thats if your shocks are any good, when i first got springs my shocks were really old, i couldnt undo anything all rusted etc.. so then had to get new shocks another 20 quid.

so.... i would say look into getting a second hand shock and spring kit, they are normally about 50 quid. make sure they have top mounts then all you have to do is undo 2 bolts and 2 nuts.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you will need spring clamps if you buy those, which will be another 10-20quid. you will also need swan neck spanners 10-20 quid again..

thats if your shocks are any good, when i first got springs my shocks were really old, i couldnt undo anything all rusted etc.. so then had to get new shocks another 20 quid.

so.... i would say look into getting a second hand shock and spring kit, they are normally about 50 quid. make sure they have top mounts then all you have to do is undo 2 bolts and 2 nuts.
Cheers! I have thousands of spanners, so that isn't a problem and I have a feeling the shocks were replaced by the previous owner but if not I will just get a set from my local scrappy. So all I need is the spring clamps. Could you please tell me what they are for and perhaps link me to a set that will work with those springs?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
they are to clamp the springs, to compress them so when you take the nut off the top of the strut the spring thats been under compression for ten years doesnt shot through your face. lol

you can get them from halfords.

swan neck spanners are special ones.. worth looking on google just to make sure you have them, if you dont have them you cant get the top mount off..

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they are to clamp the springs, to compress them so when you take the nut off the top of the strut the spring thats been under compression for ten years doesnt shot through your face. lol

you can get them from halfords.

swan neck spanners are special ones.. worth looking on google just to make sure you have them, if you dont have them you cant get the top mount off..
Haha, sounds like a plan to get those then :p And yeah I do have swan neck spanners, if not my dad is good friends with the guy that owns our local garage so I can borrow some if all else fails. Cheers for your help.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
i borrowed spring clamps off a friend so if possible can do that. swan neck spanners i got set of 5 or 6 for like £6 off amazon bargin and for rusted nuts i soaked the top 2 nuts in wd-40 over night undo the nut on the car then back up just so its free'd makes it lot easier when the strut it out of the car :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts