All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boyz and gurlz!

I'm deciding to buy H&R lowering springs for my 97 Corsa B with 17 inchers soon, and hoping to get a 35mm (1.5 inch) drop with it. Here's a few dilemmas I'd like a little help on:

QUESTION A: I'm actually contented with the current height of the rear, since the 17 inchers made it look low aleady. I was hoping if I can choose to replace only the front springs with the 35mm drop (well generally its only the front which looks high and ugly). Is it advisable? Ive read that lowering only the front isn't really well, but i was thinking that if it's only a 35mm drop, would it affect the car a lot?

QUESTION B: Replace stock springs front and rear to 35mm. In the event I decide to install the lowering springs, should I also replace the stock shocks? I was thinking whether I should or if its actually ok not to, since it is an additional expense. The last time I had my stock shocks checked, they still seemed to be fine though.

By the way, I'll probably won't get 40mm because I'm hoping the 35mm won't hit the arches..

Help me out brothers!

·
Registered
713 Posts
personally in answer to question A, i wouldnt just drop the front and leave the rear, as it could unset the balance (ok maybe not the right word/term) and could throw the handling out, but thats just me and im not very knowledgable on things like this.

and as for question B i cant help out at all, sorry.

·
Registered
611 Posts
A : as corsa_hobby said, you may find changing the front only may upset the balance of the car and will make the handling a bit strange

B : one of these things that people disagree on. some people say it will damage them, other people say it wont... would be advisable to change the shocks at the same time because the stock shocks are designed to go with the stock springs. the 35mm lower will put more weight onto the shocks and may lead to problems... but at the same time... its only 3 and a half centimetres, so its not really that much extra weight.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
You will have a more comfortable ride if you also replaced the standard shocks, its recommended if you have the money. I say this with experience.

Kenny there wont be more weight on the shocks as the cars weight stays the same, the only difference is that they will have 35mm less travel, also the dampening rates of the standard shocks are suited to the standard springs. Lowering springs are general around 15%+ stiffer than standard.

·
Registered
611 Posts
the shocks are only there to counter-act hard bounces rather than take the weight... the springs are the things that take the weight... but yeah, what you said is what i meant. i just didnt say it right.... long day at work, thats my excuse :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts