All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd share my experience mending a water leak in my C Class Corsa Design.

I bought it secondhand a few months ago and noticed a slightly musty smell. At the time, I put it down to the car being sat outside possibly with an open window. I couldn't see any obvious leaks and it was dry. The car was very cheap, so I took a risk.

A few weeks later we had a big downpouring of rain and I noticed that the driver's side footwell was sodden with water.

I took it to Vauxhall and they said it was a perished seal by the pedal box and wanted £580 to repair it. They normally charge £50 for leak detection, but as this was an assumption on their part, they didn't charge me. Apparantly this is a common problem.

I took it back to the garage, but it wasn't covered by the warranty. They did smear some sillicone sealent around the top of the brake servo seal and the bottom of the windscreen.

Sadly this did not do the trick, so I took the car to a place called "New Again" (they might also be called "Clean Image") in Chelmsford they specialise in detecting the source of rainwater leaks and putting right the water damage. They actually used dry ice smoke - filled the corsa up with it - and used this to see where the hole was. Turns out the water was leaking through a dodgy seal behind the pipe that goes through the centre of the servo, through the bulkhead.

The leak detection and cleaning up came to about £100. They used a special chemical to stop the mold. They are specialists in this work and I can definately recommend them.

http://www.clean-image.co.uk

They pointed me to Oxney garage (close by) that dropped everything and sorted out the leak for me. It took ages, because they needed to remove the steering column and pedals to get to the seal. It came to £260 and the repair has been effective. No more leakage (phew).

Here's some pics I took with my iphone:


The problem area was the rubber seal behind the pipe that went through the centre on the servo cover (above)


The perished seal

In all, it was a costly, time consuming problem, but I got it sorted for a couple of hundred less that the dealer wanted to charge me.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,002 Posts
This is a common problem, can be fixed with some £5 sealant from wickes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - I tried that at first, but I couldn't actually get to the rubber seal - only the top of the servo is accessible via the front, without removing a ton of parts and smearing sealant on the top of the servo didn't work.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top