1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it can - but thats why you have a speedo.
It can be done by itnerfacing a PIC or Atmel microprocessor which I started to do at one point but lost interest after blowing up the CPU. I'll buy another CPU and get started on it again if enough people want to be able to do it.
I could sell the kit to make it, offer up a list of parts if you want to source them yourself, or just sell a prebuilt kit.

Reactions: Dragon Man

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
Very useful, cheers AJ

Moved to tutorials

·
Registered
752 Posts
heh, AJ.. You know i am interested in this little "kit"..
if you do sell them, how much?
another thing.. i know the mfd only reads the speed once, does your kit keep refreshing the speed like a refresh rate in the mfd?

oh and a big thanks AJ this post is great!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kit i designed will be able to keep the speed displayed on the TID constantly with the engine running. and will have a refresh rate of 8MHz - well the CPU is 8MHz.

All I need is some more CPU's, its best to buy these in bulk since the postage per CPU bought seperate pretty much doubles the price, then its the PCB that would need to be mass fabricated, but I might just etch them myself and drill them myself as well.

I'll order a single CPU at the end of the month, probably about £10-£15 and then I'll start redeveloping it. Theres only like 2 places you can get them from online.

The only pain in the butt would be the fact that the speed reading would be engine dependent.
ie, a 1.2 8v sparks at a different rate than that of say a 1.6 12v.
I'de need to find an easy way of getting this sorted accuratly, whether thats by using a potentiometer (not very accurate) or a couple of DIP switches, or just program each CPU with the correct timings before shipping it out.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
id defo have some of tha, i could post you my MFD you work ya magic and post it back?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would be an add on board, simply disconnect MFD from the car wires, and insert the board inbetween the two

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
oh right, get one made up and il be your guinea pig lol il pay for it obviously but i think it would be awesome!!!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Obviously this is the fastest the CPU can run at, but take into account the commands that will be running, and i'll probably enable the CKDIV8 pin, so it will run at more like 1MHz top speed, but the MFD might bottle neck it if it can only refresh itself at a lower speed

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool project so will be keeping an eye on this thread - keep us posted :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AJ's start to world domination, one corsa at a time.. lol

8mhz.. thats quite a fast refresh rate.. faster than my dads bikes speedo :/
Sig'd :)

Reactions: Dragon Man

·
Registered
752 Posts
hahaha i made some ones sig!!.. and not out of stupidity at that!

if this was facebook:

AJs comment. [Like!] <clicked

hmm in my case its [Arr!] (pirate talk ftw!)

dono if you got my last PM.. if you did sorry it was all over the place, i was almost asleep when i sent it LoL

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I got it mate, bit curious to see where you would put the nixies though, its been buggin me all day lol

Back To The Future :D

·
Registered
752 Posts
where i would put them? im thinking 4D.. you have to go back in time to fit them.

heh

what i would like to do is have them just above the MFD.. sticking up..
just 2 IN-14 or IN-16 tubes. would look mint.

only thing id have to figure out is how to link up the nixis to the MFDs LCD display.
if i could do it with a PIC micro controler or somthing else.
thing is,this is technology i am not familiar with. so ill have to learn as i go.
always fun.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds good. I have never played with nixie to be honest, but I'll see if I can dig up any info on interfacing them with a micro cpu :)

If I get it working with nixie, I'll build you a one off ;)

1 - 20 of 124 Posts