All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got big problems :(

Here's the readout from my emissions test when I took the car in for her MOT 2 days ago:

Fast idle test FAIL

Engine Speed [RPM]
2750/3250 2937 NO CHECK
CO
<=0.30 0.33 FAIL
HC
<=00200 01427 FAIL
LAMBDA
0.97/1.03 -.-- FAIL

Second Fast Idle Test FAIL

Engine Speed [RPM]
2750/3250 ---- NO CHECK
CO
<=0.30 0.29 FAIL
HC
<=00200 01069 FAIL
LAMBDA
0.97/1.03 -.-- FAIL

Natural Idle Test PASS

0800/1060 ---- NO CHECK
CO
<=0.50 0.03 PASS

As you can see, the hydro carbon readings are way out and the lambda was off the scale. She failed on emissions, a spot of welding on the crossmember at the front offside and headlight alignment (the latter I expected).

She's been running 'lumpy' and has been since I had the alternator problems that broke me down (dead battery). I've tried resetting the ECU, the lambda sensor was taken off and looks okay (not that looking can really tell you much), taken her for a diagnostic and the only error code in the ECU was Code 24 'No Speed' (stationary car :confused: ). So, don't know where to start really but probably looking at a new lambda sensor, possibly a MAF sensor and possibly a new cat which is where the real problem could be....they don't do an 8v 1.6 cat for a Corsa because they weren't made.

Having forked out £400 last month for body repairs because some arsewipe threw his toys out of his pram for...well....being an arsewipe, I can't write the car off but it dented me (pardon the pun) financially enough to not be able to afford the MOT work until next week (even then it's likely to finish me). Where do I start?

Gonna change the plugs later because the car is running really rich. Then, if that doesn't have an improvement, I'm going to swap my old ECU (from the C14SE) into her to see if it's the ECU that's causing the hassle. From there, lambda sensor, from there, MAF sensor and then finally a new cat....could have problems. Anyone got ideas as to why she's running like she is? Not a happy puppy atm :(

Not been my year so far, the baby is due in 2 weeks so there's light at the end of this little tunnel :D

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
From what I remember from college, it will probably be your cat or your lambda sensor.

With regards to the cat, get one of a 1.4 or 1.6 and get it welded in place.
You can pick one up cheap off ebay.

Not quite sure how much a lambda sensor is though.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Less than £20 for the lambda sensor delivered (Ebay). Might as well get a new one.

The catalytic converter issue is gonna be pricey, I'll see if I can source one for the 1.4 since as far as I know, you buy them with the down pipe attached(?).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah not having the best time of it lately :(

In theory that's a brilliant idea but that's if they don't check the engine number Mark. That said, I doubt they would.....might have to anyway.

Just changed the plugs and it's no better even after a thrashing up the motorway. Power is there for the mostpart but she's overfueling and hesitates on occasion. I'm taking her for another diagnostic on Saturday where some light may be shed on what is actually wrong with her.

I even tried the 1.4 ECU just to check that the 1.6 ECU wasn't at fault. So, looks like it's either the Lambda, MAF or catalytic converter. Will hopefully know for sure on Saturday. The ICV and CTS have been mentioned too but I really need to be sure.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I would of thought if the lambda is buggered it won't be sending the correct readings back to the ecu, therefore messing up fueling and causing dodgy running problems.

At a guess.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered a new lambda.

She was misfiring on cylinder 2 so I removed the injectors and had them refurbed. She's still missing but with luck the new lambda will sort things out.

My main concern atm is how much borewash has occurred in cylinder 2, the oil reeks of petrol :mad:

·
Registered
184 Posts
When my astra failed its emissions, it was because the spring on the flap in the airflow meter on the top of the airbox had lost its tension. I was advised to take off the cover, move the geared tension wheel and lock it so the adjuster screw could bring it back in range, and it worked. I just had to silicone seal the cover back on.

No idea if it is simiar to yours, but if there is a sprung flap then they will need adjustment and I guess they are all variations of a theme.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
mine just failed its emissons mate, my lambda sensor was fine! but the cat wasnt working but thats due to it having a crack at the join lol!

have you gave your cat a look over?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
mines running lumpy on tick over but thats probs cos its an ecotech and thats how they work isnt it? but my MOT is in a few months and im really not looking forwards to it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right.....changed the lambda sensor and MAP sensor with no joy. Driving back from garage she seems to be even worse than before. £200+ spent now on MOT test itself (£50), diagnostics that revealed sweet FA (£40), Cataclean (£13), Trade only Fuel System cleaner (£10), Injectors refurbed/cleaned (£90), Lambda Sensor (£20) and my car still isn't on the road with a full retest fee and £40 worth of welding to add on to what I've already spent.

****ed off is an understatement......

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine just failed its emissons mate, my lambda sensor was fine! but the cat wasnt working but thats due to it having a crack at the join lol!

have you gave your cat a look over?
Thing with mine is dearing, it's running like **** too....fine at first then gradually gets worse and worse. Looks like I'll be forking out for sensors (AMF, TPS, ICV and CTS) until I find the problem. It's even been suggested I get a new coil pack maybe even an ECU.

My head is in bits, missus about to drop within next week or so and no roadlegal transport. Just can't believe it.

Bear in mind also, that while my car is running the way she is, I may be ****ing up the engine too.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
It may be worth trying a compression test, make sure there's nothing up in the cylinders.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Compression test nigh on perfect 1= 120psi, 2 = 120psi, 3 = 125psi, 4 = 128psi.

Replaced CTS, ICV, TPS, Lambda, CoilPack, serviced injectors, new plugs and leads, new fuel filter. Still running like a dog.....week left of tax and no MOT.

I need suggestions and fast guys if anyone has anything to mention :shocked:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone?

Forgot to mention that she's got a new ECU also....still not having any of it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The engine has had a compression test and been found to be fine....I thought of sourcing a new one but really would prefer to get this going properly again since as you say I'm quids into it.

Still misfiring, mostly when warm.....sensors changed, all eyes to electrics now...maybe a new loom to be sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
overfueling

If your engine is overfueling don't neglect to look at the airflow. check to see nothing is blocked or leaking causing the sensors to get false readings.

I'd clean the injectors as well and check for any stuck valves etc in the throttle bodies, try the fuel pump relay as well might be stuck on giving you a constant flow.

Feel sorry for you mate, problems like this are you're worst nightmare, let me know how it goes. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If your engine is overfueling don't neglect to look at the airflow. check to see nothing is blocked or leaking causing the sensors to get false readings.

I'd clean the injectors as well and check for any stuck valves etc in the throttle bodies, try the fuel pump relay as well might be stuck on giving you a constant flow.

Feel sorry for you mate, problems like this are you're worst nightmare, let me know how it goes. :thumbs_up:
The injectors were taken out and serviced by Lucas....found to be fine but cleaned and tested to be sure. The inlet doesn't appear to be leaking having sprayed carb cleaner everywhere around it...engine remained the same. Sprayed a little up the throttle body and she responded so that seems fine.

New coilpack fitted in case the sparks weren't up to it, but still no change, and the plugs all seem to be fine...no abnormalities. Compression test as mentioned was fine too...almost perfect.

The ATS loom wire was extended to the Astra one mounted on the right side of the inlet manifold to be sure that the incoming air temperature was not playing havoc with the ECU (ie. Corsa sensor on inlet trunking is colder than the one mounted onto the inlet manifold). Again, no different. I suspected it wouldn't matter since the engine had until recently been running as she should.

Not checked the fuel relay but I've changed the fuel filter and blew through the old one....no blockages.

The only error being reported (without the EML being illuminated) is error 24 no speed....so I may need to look at the VSS which is apparently mounted behind the clock facia above the clocks. It's a non servicable part so to be doubly sure I may need to source SRi clocks.

I'll try and resit the relay but can assure you that at this time there isn't much that hasn't been changed, checked or ruled out to a degree....people with years of experience are stumped so running out of ideas. Can't scrap the car since the shell is solid (14 year old car failed on headlight alignment, £40 worth of welding and emissions...not bad).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts