All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: Corsa B M-reg 1995 3 Door 1.2L

Hi all,

My M.O.T is due come 2nd of June (current MOT expires 1st of July 2013) and at the moment I have my car in for a check/repair on my speedometer as its acting sluggish and doesn't register properly (as per this thread: LINK).

Now I have a kwik fit literally down the road however I'm unsure about two things:

1) how are kwik fit these days can they be trusted not to rip you off, I've read reviews about and it seems they are picking their act up but some people still having bad service here and there depending on branch they have gone to.

(People who have used Kwik fit lately would be nice to know what your experiences have been this year)

2) debating whether I should get a Interium or full service done as well (kwik fit do a interium service with MOT for £100 and with a full service and MOT it's £165 if I read the site right).

The last service was done before I got the car, brought it off a friend who's dad is a police mechanic (brought car in February 2012), so last service was about under a year and half ago.

now ideally I would like to get this done 28/29th June as that's when I get paid so would mean financially I'm better off during June till then.

Appreciate any feedback/ideas.

Just to note I live in Caterham.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd avoid Kwik-Fit to be honest.

Can you find out if the last service was a full service or an interim one (ie basically just an oil change)? And what mileage has it done since?
To answer your question(s) :)

1) the MOT before last years one was done (June 2011) the mileage was at 80552 miles.

2) MOT from last year (June 2012) mileage was 86779 miles

3) mileage up to date this year is around 92-93000 miles.

The service that my friends dad did last year before I brought the car was a full service, so spark plugs, filter etc etc was changed/checked like a full service done at a proper garage.

I've done a few other enquiries to some other local garages which shouldn't be too hard to get from back home when I drop the car off so just waiting for those to get back.

I took my car to elite garages in caterham and enquiries about a full service they said £165 if I heard the guy right unless he meant £125 for full and £100 for interium.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
If I read that right it's done about 7k since it's last full service. So it really only needs an interim at this stage with the next full service due next year.

Plugs, air/fuel filters are OK for 20k or 2 years in normal usage.

I'd change the oil & filter more frequently - every 5k is ideal.

I'd check brake pads/shoes/discs & steering etc annually - but an interim service will cover that for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I read that right it's done about 7k since it's last full service. So it really only needs an interim at this stage with the next full service due next year.

Plugs, air/fuel filters are OK for 20k or 2 years in normal usage.

I'd change the oil & filter more frequently - every 5k is ideal.

I'd check brake pads/shoes/discs & steering etc annually - but an interim service will cover that for you.
Well that's some good news to my ears financially at least lol

Ill get a interium service done after my MOT this June (probably won't be till June payday) and get a full service next year (next year will be better as ill have a bit more cash spare to spend on anything that I need to spend money on ie car maintience.

Just to note I had to top up the oil about 3 weeks ago as it was running low.

I never knew how expensive it can get to maintain a car...but at least it gives me more convenience to be able to do more things than you can without a car...well less hassle at least!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the garage got back to me.

Basically the checks they have done seem to indicate its not the speedometer but two things which they are trying to confirm which of two it is.

Firstly it could be the bearings which will need to be replaced costing around £300.

Secondly it could be the gear box itself and some other related stuff to it costing about £1500.

The guy was straight up and honest saying if it was him I should get a new car as the car is drive able still but it's just going to get progressively worse and he also explained that the humming noise which is quite loud is the result of this.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Bearings don't cost anywhere near that. You can do them yourself or ask friends.
An F28 gearbox on a Corsa will set you back 350-450. Should cost about £100 in labour (about 3hrs I believe)

Think you've got a rip off merchant!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bearings don't cost anywhere near that. You can do them yourself or ask friends.
An F28 gearbox on a Corsa will set you back 350-450. Should cost about £100 in labour (about 3hrs I believe)

Think you've got a rip off merchant!
Well I'm certainly not privvy to car mechanics or have the tools or place to do it as I have to park on a main road which well isn't that safe lol

I think the guy may of said £1200-1500 for ball bearings and gearbox but either way this car has been a money pit so I'm probably going to get a new car instead.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Bear in mind that most workshops don't like problems they can't easily fix by changing a component - diagnosing problems can take time and customers don't like big bills just to track down a problem.

So it's not unknown for a workshop that doesn't want to work on a car to come up with something that sounds serious and costs mega-bucks to fix.

I'd seek a second opinion - or see if anyone local to you will have a listen for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.