All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i'll be banging a few pics up soon as i get hold of a camera.

Spec is:

Chassis:
1995 Corsa Swing (yeah i know lol),
14" Vauxhall sport alloys with 195/65 tyres,
Corsa C springs all-round,
Braided brake hoses,
Front anti-roll bar (didnt come with that for some reason?)

Engine:
1200cc 8-valve with continously variable valve lift and timing,
Swirl-ported heat insulated intake manifold,
Polished combustion-chambers and piston crowns,
One-off fuel enrichment regulator (for when I fancy some country lane thrashing),
K&N 57i induction kit,
completely standard exhaust...(which is staying that way for tuning issues),
runs on Castrol GTX 5w30 which it burns a little bit.

Stuff to do:
find that f***ing noise from the offside front suspension arm.
fix the paint on the bonnet where some little b*****ds threw rocks at me,
wash it.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Looking forward to seeing pics of it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not much to look at im afraid, i went for subtlety lol, im on the lookout for a front bumper like yours, only in matt dark grey like the one thats on it at the minute, seems to be like rocking horse **** :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
From what I gather you do the work yourself, but how much did that cost you roughly? and what kind of power do you reckon you're getting from it now? And can I ask, why the corsa C springs?

Edit: Why has the whole of my post been underlined?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
engine's making roughly 75-ish bhp, i have no idea what torque it's making but its way beyond standard and available from tick-over, i have to deliberately try to make it 'kangaroo', otherwise it just pulls, how hard depends what gear its in.
Corsa C springs, pretty simple really, i didnt want to lower it, just uprate them, so i threw C springs on it (mate was lowering his car and gave em to me for nothing, then smashed his neons on a kerb, doh!) the back sits higher up so the car slopes forward a bit and the front end feels more predictable compared to my bro's standard 1.2.
didnt cost me that much in parts due to trade discount for bits for mine, stuff i needed others to do, like skimming the head, didnt cost much either. thinking back, ive probably spent as much as i bought it for over the 3 years ive had it now, in servicing and when it broke etc.

·
Registered
497 Posts
So the corsa C springs offer better performance over the corsa B ones? Is there a lot of difference? And I'm liking the sound of your engine! 1.2 with 75bhp is pretty good anyway, but with torque being available from tickover?! I would have imagined tuning a 1.2 would result in a very narrow powerband at very high rpm. Yours must be unreal for a 1.2 lol.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
the springs were a cheap way to replace the ones that had snapped at the time lol! the slightly improved handling was a bonus, but it does put more weight over the front end, which makes it want to understeer a bit more.
aye, the torque is nice, let my bro take it out for a spin around the estate once and he was amazed as well, practically begged me to convert his engine to my spec, but he's got the X12SZ where mines the C12NZ, so it's a lot of grief to get that engine to perform the same.
was thinking about getting the rocker cover engraved '8-VALVE VVLT No.1' or something, im quite proud of what i managed to do with it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
discontinued from 95, so im a lucky git, X12SZ replaced it if i remember right.
if you're looking for one, go for one with about 80-90k on the clocks, so its nicely run-in before you start playing with the ports. reliability should be ok if you do a decent job.
word of warning with the 94-95 corsas, some come with different front hubs, so its a lot of fun trying to get one if the wheel bearing is shot. the difference is in the steering arm offset and is really subtle so its hard to distinguish between the 2. from vauxhall as a complete unit (hub and bearing) you're looking at £300 and factory special order only.
my advice of doing those is to get an engineering firm to change the bearings over, if they mess up then its their problem lol.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Just a quick note on the posts being underlined, it's a broken tag in one of the files I've edited so I have to suss out which one. Bear with me on it and I'll sort it asap. Also it only happens in internet explorer so all other browsers should be fine.

·
Registered
390 Posts
deathscythe hae you ever had your car on the rllers mate or is the 75bhp an estimate?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its a guesstimate at the minute till i can get it on the rollers, feels about 75-ish, wouldnt surprise me if it was somewhere near tbh.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Just a quick note on the posts being underlined, it's a broken tag in one of the files I've edited so I have to suss out which one. Bear with me on it and I'll sort it asap. Also it only happens in internet explorer so all other browsers should be fine.
Should be fixed now, it was a bit of untidy coding on my behalf. Some of the features may be missing while I re-install them but hopefully I should have it all back to normal before anyone notices.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
pic pic pic deathscythe! lol

how modible is the X12SZ then? even just a tad? can it be "derestricted" like you motor?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anythings possible mate, X12SZ just takes longer and more work, basically includes scrapping the ECU and EGR system.

·
Registered
390 Posts
would be nice to get your car on the rollers deatchscythe just to see what kind of pwoer and torque its making, u got any plans to do that?? just really curious mate lol:D

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
What about blanking off the EGR valve, i mean all it does is recirculate exhaust gases into the intake air stream, is that not exactly efficient for the engine is it?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
aye would be nice to see what its putting out.

blanking off the EGR is a good start, raising the peak combustion temperature helps boost things up to a point, but doing this alone might cause strange faults in the ECU because it'll probably start getting strange readings from the sensors so it cant really adjust the fuel-to-air ratio and ignition timing to suit certain engine speeds/loads. thats why if you're planning to go down this route, a good idea is to get yourself an earlier ECU (and possibly wiring harness) which adjusts the injection and ignition timing on-the-fly (no maps).

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
What about derestricting throttle bodies, manifolds, etc because, doesnt affect the ECU and sensors as much does it? larger diameter downpipe? of will that affect back pressure for the wrong reaons?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
derestricting the throttle body shouldnt play with the ecu too much, but its a good starting block to work from.
standard manifolds are pretty good in tuning terms, especially if you've got a cast aluminium one, you can do swirl porting on those by cutting valleys into the inside of the manifold at certain points and angles. the points and angles are down to experience and a lot of thinking trust me, you cant just attack it with a dremel and hope for the best, do that and you'll get crazy power differences between the cylinders and it'll run rough as f**k.
you're bang on with the larger downpipe, just throwing a wider pipe onto it and keeping the length the same will more than likely cause you to loose power rather than gain it, at best it'll make it run iffy at certain rpm's. exhaust tuning is an exact science, think 2-stroke expansion pipes, those pipes are shaped like that because of a hell of a lot of mathematic equations on gas flow and expansion at certain rpms, similar story on 4-strokes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts