All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...here I am sat at my PC with semi-mucky paws and a whistling alternator. I changed it earlier for one I bought from Ebay.....not the easiest of jobs to do but didn't take too long. So....put everything back together and fired her up. Only to find that she's now constantly whistling....but a tinny kind of whistling :mad:

I have had such **** luck with anything electrical to do with my car it's gone beyond a joke....just feel like crying :(

So, it was an intermittent sound like a chicken being ripped to death under my bonnet whenever I dare turn anything other than headlights on.....to a constant whistling that sounds like a kettle....sigh.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Was the belt new the first time around?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed the belt first and changed the tension a couple of times but it was under load that it would scream the place down. It's been like it for too long now so fitted the 'new' one earlier. This one just whistles....but the car it was transplanted from had been idle for a while so kind of hoping a good spray of WD40 should help it some.

The breakers that sold it to me have had a call from yours truly today and advised me to run it in for a day but it's looking likely that this one will be out before long at this rate. Ran out of WD40 earlier so gonna grab some...maybe even the 3-in-1 stuff with the pointy spout.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Aye, give it a squirt of that and see how you get on.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'd never guess what happened mate.....unbelievable. I know people have 'mares with cars but this took the piss.

Wrote my last reply and decided to take the car out....she only died in rush hour traffic on the dual carriageway, in the fast lane......after about 20mins of total embarassment someone actually helped me push her with a bit of speed. I'm talking bumper to bumper traffic, so virtually impossible alone (not my dap anyway). My car is totally dead.

Luckily, my girlfriends parents live close but to get there I have to go over footbridge and around....leaving my delocked car unlocked. I had no 'fone, no money and no wallet.

Called my brother and he arrived in about 15mins and he towed me up to his house where I had to get the dud 'new' alternator out again and put my old 'screecher' back in. Charged the battery for a bit and started her up....fine since, not even a screech from the old alternator.

Went through all that for nothing.....I'm so stressed now I need to chillax and pretend it was all a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Lol, get your arse straight back to the breakers and demand your money back.
At least something good came out of it, your car is no longer screeching!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah....I tried a couple of times to get the tension right but it's exactly as has been mentioned (by Deathscythe as I recall)....you should be able to turn the belt over on itself.

My nephew hit my brothers car door into my passenger door too, left a small dent. Not the best of days.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Feel for you mate, think of the good things the screeching has stopped and now you can go and demand your money back

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah...I'm not gonna be amused when I call them. They told me to run the alternator in for a day (it was whistling after all, put it down to being idle for so long) which is what I was doing when the car died. The guy seems pleasant enough though so I won't be nasty unless after telling my story he's unphased.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts