All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right I'm useless with all this but here goes.
Since upgrading to 8mb broadband I'm having loads of problems. My modem keeps going out of sync and losing the connection which is really annoying.
I want to move to wireless and don't know where to start.
I can't afford a lot so I just want a cheap decent wireless setup.
I need it to be capable of sending the signal from downstairs to upstairs.

Also just a quick question, will I still have sync issues?

·
Registered
696 Posts
8mb? i really need to pursuade my mum to move up lol, still on 1mb, not spamming mate, jujst realising my ****ness :p

im sure theres plenty of advice to come :)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's really not all it's cracked up to be. The max my line can recieve is 5mb, which translates to about 3.5mb really, which is then very unstable.

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
heh its UPTO 8mb ;)

i'd have a word with your provider about the stability of the line, they should look at it and get it sorted!

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're a load of crap. Everytime a fault develops they claim it's at my end. Then suprise suprise the fault goes with no action on my part.

What would I be looking for with a wireless router cj?
I don't want the constant disconnects I'm getting now, and I also want it to be suitable for online gaming.
Here's a few I'm considering:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NETGEAR-WGT62...4QQihZ002QQcategoryZ44997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-NTL-T...0QQihZ002QQcategoryZ44997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They're just two that are within budget.
I have no idea what I'm looking for though and also which is the best.

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
Im guessing your on ADSL and not cable, and looking at netgear (both examples are ...so ya know!!)

http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wirelessrouter_dg834g.php

I'd suggest something like the above, has its own built in modem for the connection, so you dont have to use the one you do at the moment, they're normally a bit cak anyway!

should be able to find something like this on ebay (ie. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NETGEAR-DG834...9QQihZ018QQcategoryZ44997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ... wouldnt buy this one though ;))

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep adsl 'upto' 8mb.
So neither of the 2 I posted are any good?
I searched for netgear as you recommended it in my other post.
Not only that but my ISP are offering wireless netgear equipment so if a prob arises they can't claim they don't support it.

Also, please correct me if this is wrong....
Am I to just plug the router in at my main phone socket, then put the usb thing in my pc upstairs and it will work like that? Or does the router thing have to be at my pc?

I'm clueless lol.

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
Both of them require you to use a modem attached to them, like the one you use at the moment, adds unnecessary equipment into the loop!

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
oh, and they cant say they dont support it, if they do.... move isp because they're a bunch of cowboys!

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I have the BT voyager 2100 Wireless ADSL router and if you have wireless built into your computer already then all you will need is the router (bout £40 - £60) if not then just pick up 1 of the BT wireless adaptors and thats it your sorted. I've had this set up for about a year for myself and 2 flatmates and had no problems. We're with BT and have a 30GB limit (you pay extra if you go over - never happened to us yet and thats with downloading music, movies etc) which is plenty but its £30 a month (flatmates pay a tenner ecah my dad pays my share lol) so you could use the same hardware set up and go with someone like tiscali which are meant to be very good and a bit cheaper with unlimited usage.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately where I live the only ISP we can have is Kingston Communications.
It's the only area in the whole country that doesn't have a choice of Phone companies or ISP's.
It's either them or nothing.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cj will I need anything else other than the router you suggested?
What will I need for my pc?

·
Registered
166 Posts
i wait for the linksys 4400N router..
it has wap2 security + it has N-technologie.. it's 4time's faster then the g.. and the range is 6x more..

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cj would the NETGEAR DG834G be ok for online gaming etc?
I don't want my ping to suffer and definately don't want the frequent disconnects I'm currently getting.

I'm watching a few of them on ebay.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good good.
I think I shall be purchasing one of those then.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if you have bought one yet, but £30-£35 is very cheap for a router. Netgear is also not the best make you can get, they are very unreliable. If you get a Belkin one, which is the one Kingston Communicatios released especially for people using their Internet Service, you will have a lot better experience using your wireless Internet connection.
As for your PC if it is not currently wirelessly enabled then you will need a wireless card or network card. You can pick decent ones of these up for around £20. Hope it is not to late for my help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts