All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just signed up for 8mb broadband and it's been activated today. The thing is my extension lead is wrecking the speed and it's only at 2.1mb which is .1mb more than what is was.
So.....
My ISP told me I need to get rid of the extension lead and it will improve, I tested it by plugging my pc directly into the main phone socket and the speed was 5.1mb.
A massive improvement.
So......
It's not an option to keep my Pc downstairs (2yr old toddler roaming around) so I want it to stay upstairs. This is where I need the help.
I want to know what hardware is the best in terms of speeds etc. Router, wireless network etc etc.
Or just keep my internal pci card and get an rj11 extension lead instead.

I do apologise for talking crap but I have no idea what's what when it comes to anything like this.:pcguru:
I just want the fastest and most reliable connection I can.

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
i would say to get a decent ADSL Wireless Router from either Netgear, linksys or 3com and shove a wireless card in the PC, other option is just get a ADSL Router and run a wire up to your pc ... but with a kid around not the best of ideas!

ps. im a techie ;) always more than happy to help anyone out with any problems

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Cj.
I've just ordered an rj11 extension for now until I get the cash for anything more fancy.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Need to get my downloads hammering at full speed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
they do do plugs that plug into a normal plug socket then you put your telephone wire into the back.then you put another plug in any socket in the house an plug your pc into that.it uses your wiring in your house to pass the signal.:)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As in an electrical socket?

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
sounds risky, wouldnt play around doing that! small spike in the power and zap, computer gone! at least the power supply is built to withstand a spike, networking / phone cards are not!

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if it's possible it's absolutely mental.

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
of course its posible, all it is on a telephone wire is around +/- 5v. small change and the phone rings ;)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Means nothing to me Cj lol. Plug = electric = danger.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ive actually got this, our house as only 2 phones that are plugged into the phone line, the other 5 cordless phones operate on the mains electrics.
think of it like this, for a phone to work it needs a (pulsed) signal and an earth. the mains have +240V live, neutral and earth. mains earth becomes phone line earth and the phone uses the neutral line as its signal input, hey presto = instant phone line anywhere in the house, but each phone needs the special socket so that they can communicate with the 'master' phone.
its pretty safe and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in what you can hear, ive heard of people that use their mains in a similar way to turn the oven on before they get home by ringing their phone which sets off one of these sockets, people have even run cameras through them so its tried and tested.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i am soooo confused

anyway, corsa's, engines, exhausts n stuff :driver: :D

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
it does work i had them and there perfectly safe.you can also add as many plug as you like to creat a network.i think there about £10 a plug.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am soooo confused

anyway, corsa's, engines, exhausts n stuff :driver: :D
Lol I'm trying to get my head around it but it's screaming out dangerous at me.
I've had a few too many run-ins with electrical sockets.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
it is safe a mate down the pub owns a computer shop that sells them.just an idea fort it may be a easy way round it.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 27 Posts