All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm new here and kind of stuck massively with my car!

Car Spec- Vauxhall Corsa (1999) 1.2 16v

Issues- My car has a lot of trouble starting, i have been told that it could be many things and tried my hardest to get the issue sorted but have now ran out of ideas. The car turns over fine, there are no problems with the battery or starter motor as they are relatively new. The crank sensor has just been replaced and the 2 fuel pump relays hiding behind the glovebox have also been replaced. The engine management lights isn't permanently on, it will come on every now and again, and when it does, it seems to drain the power from the car, until i take my foot off the gas and reapply pressure.

If you have any suggestions as to why this is happening please help me out, i need the issue fixing as i am a support worker for people with disabilities and need my car for the job. I am not currently in a position to go out and buy a new car as i have other commitments.

Additionally, the water pipe leading from the engine to the radiator burst the other day and i have replaced it with a new pipe and used hose clips to firmly keep it connected. There is no signs of leaks from the 3 parts of the pipe i hose clipped on.

Possible suggestions are great!

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had the codes read? As the engine management light has been on, one or more codes will be stored :)
Thanks for your reply! I'm getting the RAC out tomorrow so they can make a diagnosis. My friend recently read the error codes for me and he said nothing was showing up. Maybe he was trying to read them wrongly?

·
Registered
42 Posts
How did you get on? Do you know if the replacement crank sensor was a genuine GM one? It really does sound like that's your issue.

Good idea to replace those spring clips on the radiator hose. They lose their tension over time whereas a hose clip will always stay as tight as you make it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you get on? Do you know if the replacement crank sensor was a genuine GM one? It really does sound like that's your issue.

Good idea to replace those spring clips on the radiator hose. They lose their tension over time whereas a hose clip will always stay as tight as you make it!
Hi Iain. The RAC came out last night and diagnosed the fault within seconds- the Lambda sensor. The wiring and connection has been damaged over time and because of that the messages that get sent back to the engine management system were incorrect. Which explains why the EM light was flashing on and off. The reason why it had trouble starting is because the lambda sensor couldn't read the temperature of the engine and that made the fuel pump pump more fuel into the engine!

So yeh, problem diagnosed just need to get it fixed! Girlfriends dad is coming up at some point in the next couple of days to do it for me.

My car is also showing signs of head gasket problems :palm:

Yikes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.