All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Throught id say hi.

Just bought a 2008 Vauxhall corsa Design in a dark bluey grey colour (35k miles , FDSH), picking up on wednesday. I believe it has most of the options too, cruise control, 6 speed, auto wipers/auto lights, climate control , parking sensors computer etc.
I know this isn't a questions and answers thread, but just a quick couple

1. Timing chain, what milage /age to get changed , how much roughly
2. Service intervals, 20k a year right with 5w30 full synthetic.

Many thanks

Lee

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Agreed - change the oil & filter (with a genuine GM filter) every 5k and the timing chain will last well beyond 100k. Personally I'd use a good semi-synthetic oil, but that's just a personal preference from experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok a bit more than i throufght. I currently do 25k miles a year, of which are mostly motorway/ dual carrage way. Was going to get an oil filter done every 6 months and 12 months a full service . Is this ok still? So really i suporse i was tinking every 12k miles. which would be genuine vauxhall parts and a good quality oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I personally service my car my self atleast once a year.
New oil, new oil filter, etc.
Like previous comments timing chain will last a good while no need to change until after at least 75k +

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Mainly motorway miles you can extend the oil services as the water content of the oil doesn't build up as much - but I'd still do it as often as possible.

It is the detergent properties that expire first at which point the oil still lubricates and cools, but it stops cleaning the engine.

If your annual mileage is 25k then I'd do three oil changes a year at around 8k - two just oil & filter changes, and one as part of an annual major service.

It depends if you're doing your own work or getting a garage to do it - I'm thinking of how you monitor brake pad wear with that kind of annual mileage, I wouldn't leave it a full year between checking pad/disc condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thinking best bet is major service once a year for the service histroy + keep all receipts for the 2 services in between.

How hard is it to change on this car. Can you guys recommend an oil to use, as well as filter.

Out of interest is the camchain a simualr cost as a cambelt change say £300ish

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Just do it yourself. Should only cost around 20
Would struggle to do a
Service for £20, you could manage oil and filter if you shop around

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Is there any guides or tips on this. Thinking from a cost perspective to do the oil filter myself. General wear and tear i can check myself. Then get the pros to do once a year as a master service.

Any reccomened oils i see euro parts seem to have tripple x on offer a lot , so that with an oil filter and probs new sump plug will be enough id have fought

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/V...d2c1a17edab70973ba0937fcf24a6aa7ce81c6&000398

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/V...422a57bbe0b881a6a820e049b5f6e0cc4f5435&000231

Like above

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Going from what you have said it sounds like you dont' do much work on cars yourself - so leave the annual major service to a workshop and just to the interim oil changes yourself.

Any good quality 5W/30 semi-synthetic oil will do.

Buy genuine GM oil filters - you can buy a few at once, pick up some sump plug rings at the same time from your local Vx parts dept. Do not use cheap pattern parts as the poor quality ones can cause problems and unless you know how to tell the difference stick to GM parts.

Changing the oil is easy - there are tutorials in the relevant section on here.

You will need a 32mm spanner to remove the oil filter housing cap.

On yours you don't even really need to jack it up - for a quick oil change I keep a couple of stout lengths of timber and simply drive the front wheels up them, you only need a few extra inches. Doing it that way an oil change is literally a 5 minute job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts