All Corsa Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after having the astra for a year or so feeling a change or car as this is getting expensive with the dual mass fly wheel going starter motor etc.

anyway ive been looking at a few cars but not sure what to go for when i get round to it.

what i need:

good size boot for putting shopping etc.
not petrol seems more expensive in tax and less mpg
i would like something that looks ok
not break down all the time

so after looking about i can see i could get an old volvo lots of equipment but then big engines so its put me off and i think i dont want another vauxhall due to the stupid designs and breaking a lot and cheap build.

golfs just dont shout out to me

the only car that i like which fits the boxes is an audi a4 1.9 tdi

good looking car plenty of space good mpg and insurance isnt too much more

are there any common problems with them?

any advice is welcome looking for a different car but not old and boring

·
8,051 Posts
What about a newer Volvo? Have a look at C30's with a D5 or a D4. D4 is best, same power but more economical.

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
I've been looking into a VW, Audi, Seat or Skoda 1.9tdi for my next car. All same engines and running gear more or less.

The early models were 90bhp and 110bhp. They're not as refined as the later versions with the PD engine but cheaper to repair and more basic so potentially more reliable. They don't have a dual mass flywheel.

The later models were the PD engines with (IIRC) 100,115,130,150Bhp as the more common engines.
They use a dual mass flywheel. If it's the 5 speed gearbox, you can convert it over to the older solid flywheel and clutch to save money. 6 speed one costs a fortune to convert back to regular.
The PD diesel system means one of the lobes on the camshaft is thinner than the rest, so if not serviced well or mileage is too high then the camshaft cam wear and snap.

Bonus is with the above ones, they tune really well. 100>130 115>140 130>170 150>190

A4 is nice i think. Comfortable, looks good and practical for the family and with a bit of tuning will be much quicker than the Astra

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My Dad has a VW Vento (basically a Mk3 Golf with a boot) its a 1.9 tdi, as Hardcore said the earlier engines are solid as a rock, my Dads done 280k, original gearbox and nothing but the odd bit that brakes every 50 odd thousand. If it wasn't for the fact that its manual, i would be driving it myself. Its lovely on motorways.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just had alook online now about any common issues with the a4 and all seem minor obviously apart from dual mass fly wheel but thats common on any new diesel now, and with the pd engine seeing it a lot atm, is it something to consider worth getting? and better to have a 5 speed not 6? do they cause alot of problems ?

mondeo st, thats a no go

newer volvos not to keen on...

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
I've been told if you get one of the more modern 1.9tdi's that has the dual mass flywheel and the 5 speed gearbox, if the clutch goes you can convert it back to the older regular flywheel and clutch and save a lot of money.

The older models came with this as standard, but they are the non PD engines (90 and 110bhp)
6 speeds will be better on fuel on the motorway but you're stuck with the dual mass on them unless you want to spend a fortune on a custom flywheel and clutch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts