1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
You can just wire it in to the standard wiring but it won't be that good. I had one just wired straight into the standard wiring and it was very temperamental and it eventually broke after less than a year.

Got a new one and wired it up like this over a year and a half ago and it's worked perfectly since:

Here's the original post where I go through it all:

http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=591890&postcount=1199

·
Banned
885 Posts
It is either my bed time, or I am missing something here!
The diagram shows the rely connected to the battery +ve via a fuse (no switch?) with one wire going to the horn.
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the relay COIL was earthed via the new horn, all that would happen is that the relay would 'click' when the battery was connected.
If, on the other hand, it is connected to the relay CONTACTS, it won't receive power, due to the contacts being open.
If I am correct here AND if the new horn works, then it isn't connected as per diagram.
Surely one side of the relay COIL needs to be connected to earth and the relay CONTACTS' need EITHER a +ve feed with the other contact going to the horn and the horn's other contact being earthed, OR a +ve supply to the horn, with the other side of the horn going to earth via the relay contacts.

Sorry to be nit picking about this, but (there is always a but) it is not good practice to use cable that is intended for fixed wiring (as is the domestic earth cable in the pics) as, whilst it may well have the current carrying capacity, it only has a few thick strands, rather than automotive cable, which has many finer strands and is more flexible so is more resistant to fatigue fracture. Admittedly, for the short length shown, it probably doesn't matter, but for longer runs, where there may be movement of the cable, this is not a good idea.
I'm off to bed now!

Regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.