All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new member from leicestershire! :)

3 months ago, i bought my first car. A 1.2 Corsa SXi (51) for £1495. Space green in color. I have since replaced the back tyres as they were running a bit thin (cost me £130!)

I'd like to get round to changing the alloys, and a decent exhaust when the time comes but other than that not really any modifications.

I'm a little anxious about owning a car for the first time, as I don't know much about them or how to keep them running well etc.

My knowledge stops at checking the oil/tyre pressure etc but i'd like to learn more!

I've put it in for a service next week :)

So helloo! Any comments/advice would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you keep on top of services (oil, filters, plugs). Keep the water/coolant topped up and a decent colour (pink normally). A corsa will almost look after itself.

If you hears knocks, bangs, rattles, or the driving experience changes. Just simply look into it as soon as possible, before the problem gets any worse or spreads.

This forum is starting to get a little thin on members lately due to new corsa forum starting up. t h e corsa .co.uk

If you don't many replies here, that might be why :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PINK!! are you crazy ;) Pink is like the worst color ever! :3

Yup, I plan to do yearly services but I have a friend who can change the oil as an when in between if needed. And of course, I will learn to do this myself one day soon! :)

The only issue at the minute I think, is my handbreak needs tightening. It's being looked into at the service. It runs pretty well, I was quite surprised at how little petrol they use!! :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
PINKS ACE! lol

I would do a service every 10,000 or yearly, which ever comes first. Because one year could do 30,000 miles and another year 5,000 miles. Do it every 10,000 miles or every year, which ever comes first.
If you really want to look after and are willing to spend a little more money. every 5,000 miles or year.

Learn as soon as possible, it is so easy.

You warm the engine up.
Turn it off.
jack car up onto axle stands, or mini-ramps
get a bucket under the engine.
take off one bolt under the engine that drains the oil into a bucket. Be careful not to drop bolt into bucket. And oil might be a little warm, sometimes hot.
leave the bolt off for now.
take oil cap off (where you fill it), this will release the pressure a bit in the engine so more oil comes out.
unscrew the oil filter (very easy stuff)
leave 5 minutes more, until the oil stops dripping out.
put the bolt back in the bottom of engine
The oil filter comes with an O ring, take old one off. basically a flexable gasket. cover this in oil slightly so it's lubed up.
But O ring on oil filter cover.
But oil filter in.
screw up by hand, then do up a little tighter using an oil filter tool or spanner (quarter of a turn, will be more than enough).
But new oil in.

Just double check how much oil yours requires before refilling.

Sounds like a lot. But each individual job are the easiest things you can do.

Get your mate to walk you through it as he does it. And compare it to this guide. It will become obvious what you have to do, and you will soon be doing with your eyes closed. Ones you can do it on one car. You will save money on every car :)

P.S. some people replace the engine drain bolt and it's washer each service as well. It just means you don't round off or snap an old bolt then because it's re-newed every year a the latest.

Invest in a Halfords £99.99 150 piece tool kit. Best investment I've ever done.

There are other things involved in a service. but Oil and Oil filter are most important.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks benb404 :)

I plan for a service every year, as I highly doubt i will ever do 10,000 miles in a year. 5,000 maybe :)

Just means I have to buy/borrow axle stands, or mini-ramps...haha I can see this being fun. People will be taking pictures in the street of me attempting it! :p

And in the service I booked, there was like 50-60 things or more...I just know that an oil change is important. I want to learn how to do basic car maintenance, been tempted to book myself on a short college course. I just feel the more I can do myself, the less worried I will be :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.