All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Corsa drivers.

I've a '94 Corsa B type with a 1.5TD Isuzu lump and 166+ thou on the clock. I am the second owner.My mother had it before me and had the best years outta it before floggin it to me for £500. On Thursday 23rd nov, it went through its MOT and passed,Phew, but it has a small hole in its exhaust, which the inspector gobbed up with paste. He tells me the exhaust is a bodged job, and its so, because its been welded to the Cat rather than clamped. He says the exhaust will want replacing before next MOT and it will be a sod, because the pipe will need cutting off and the new one will then be clamped on. What are your thoughts on this,please? And will installing a better section cost shed loads more than a normal one?
I'm no mechanic, but I'll have a go at anything, I've already done a new clutch which unfortunatly required removing the gearbox, (unlike some clutches which apparently drop out the bottom), so with that in mind, I'd like to fix the exhaust myself.The MOT inspector cofidently thinks his garage will be doing it, but at £19 an hour labour charge which I just paid for havin a new sun visor clamp, a bit of paste on me exhaust and putting a CV gaitor back on that had slipped off, he can go F*!k himself.
So basicaly I'm havin to cut the pipe and me thinks, sat here without havin had a proper look,it can't be too difficult and I can take as long as I like to do it without worry about labour charges.

So hello, nice to be here.Lookin forward to a read

Cheers Mike

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Oh dear i didnt think diesels had a cat!

Sounds like its going to be an arse of a job. Your be better off getting a whole new system :(

Hopefully some off the guys on here will be able to give you better advice.

Anyway, welcome to Allcorsa :D

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Hello mike. As long as you cut the exhaust in the right place you can get a cheap replacement part no problems. It's an easy job to do but can be a bit fiddly what with space being limited under a car unless you have access to hydraulic ramps or a pit.
Post some pics up of it if you can and I'll try and be a bit more specific for you.

Oh and :welcome: .

·
Registered
166 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
:welcome: hi mike

Corsa exhausts are all normally one piece units, i have had mine done recently (last week) and just had the old one cut off, cost me £71 from the cat back including labour, and took the mechanic about 1/2 hour. It best to let a garage to do it, saves you trouble, as it can be tricky, shop around, there cant be only one garage that can do it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts