All Corsa Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Just looked again - is the last picture taken of the rear nearside? From the angle of it I had jumped to the assumption it was the offside - in which case the creased looked nearer the suspension. If it's the nearside then it's nowhere near the suspension, and looks like it's just tucked the back end up a bit. Which is not so big a problem - certainly worth fixing it up yourself even if they decide they won't.

My brother had his written off when someone went right down the side of it. He bought it back for peanuts and ran it for years.

It's going to be hassle whichever way it goes - but I hope it works out OK for you. Let us know how things go....

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
IMO its going to be a write off, just the book price of corsas now and that it will likely cost more than 50% to fix

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
looks like a right off..

my mate had a 10mph crash at the front of his corsa, smashed head light cracked bumper, bonnet was slighty damaged and so was the wing.. hardly anything though... could probs sort most of it with a hammer and filler but that got written off...

as for your boot pannel that looks focked!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
from what iv been told normally if the boot floor is rippled and the cars not worth much they will just write it off.
im sure someone on here works in insurance though?

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
from what iv been told normally if the boot floor is rippled and the cars not worth much they will just write it off.
im sure someone on here works in insurance though?
Yer I do, however not in claims. The thing is to buy a brand new bumper, new boot lid and to jig the boot then with spraying on top. Your looking at closer to £1000 to repair it, with the car value being around £1000 its not economical for them to repair the car, when they then have to give a warranty on the repiared parts and give you a courtesy car. So much easier just to write it off and give you the money.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Definately a write off that mate. Insurance company wont bother spending the money required on a car of such little value. With the age and mileage I think the £1000 value being mentioned is high especially at the moment. Good thing will be when they give you the money you can go and get yourself another nice corsa as they really are going for peanuts at the moment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think the vote goes to write off then eh?

Well what are my options here? Because working in a shop which my poor car is parked outside of all day, I've just been staring at it thinking of memories past lol. But this thing isn't ready to go yet, she starts fine every morning, sometimes grumbles at first be calms down soon enough. Have driven to london and back (from edinburgh) 3 times and apart from the noise it's smooth as silk and well fuel efficient.

So why should I bin it just because part of boot that I never see is dented? If I just get a new colour coded bumper and shove that on top of the still operating reg plate light, I'm happy. I mean - How hard can it be? What are my options when they write it?

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
You can buy it back, normally for its scrap value, then go about repairing the car. although it will be a Cat D and would be harded to sell in the future.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Yup - that's what I'd do. You'll have a car that owes you nothing, but is reliable and you know its history. OK it's sale value is zero - but what the heck - just run it as long as you can. By the time you come to get rid it's not going to matter one way or the other.

That how my brother ran his write off - he still reckons it was the most fun motoring he ever had. No worries.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well she's a gonner. Apparently the repairs are worth £1800!!! According to Diamond anyway. They wanna give me £850 for it... what do you reckon?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
That's not a bad offer considering the age and mileage. However, they rarely make their very best offer first. There may be a few extra pounds to be gained by making the most of any good features about the car - recent new tyres, exhaust, full service history - that kind of thing. On the other hand, if there aren't many good points - take it.

I trust you have also asked for something towards your inconvenience and out of pocket expenses? I hate those smarmy solicitors that make a living off other people's misfortune - wouldn't touch them with a bargepole - but when we have had a couple of tail end shunts I asked for a modest amount to cover our out of pocket expenses. So long as it is reasonable, not a 'I'm gonna sue you for every penny I can' attitude - the insurance is usually reasonable in return.

It's worth asking anyway.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts