All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spent most of the day changing the timing chain on my 2004 1.2 Corsa, a job I'm doing for the first time and always something I fancied doing.
The fit went ok and I was quite pleased with myself, until after tightening the crankshaft spocket bolt.I decided to rechecked the valve timing, cams locked and T.D.C. set, only to find that the timing marks on the bottom pulley are to the right of the marks on the timing cover by about 10 deg.
When I first fitted the chain, ok the cover wasn't on but I'd make a mark around where it would be. Strange thing is now, when I remove the cam locking plates and move the crankshaft backwords towards where the T.D.C mark is on the timing cover, according to the manual, the crank locking pin doesn't go cleanly in the hole, you have to turn the pulley to the right.

Are my camshafts a tooth out and is T.D.C with the pulley mark just in front on the mark on the timing cover and not just after as mine currently is.
When I try and line the mark on the crankshaft pulley with the mark on the timing cover, the crankshaft locking pin won't go in the hole, yet when I move the pulley 10 deg clockwise the pin falls in the hole.

Tomorrow will be an interesting day, trying to figure out what I did wrong, unless somebody on here can help.
I can't continue with the rebuild until I know the timing chains are correctly aligned.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi there, what you prob done it put the chain on with the slack side at the front, then when you took all the locking stuff out the tensioner took up the slack and moved the pulleys the other way, i am assume the tensioner is on the back bit of the chain, so you want to put all you locking stuff back in position and put the chain on so all the slack is in the back of the chain, then when the tensioner does its thing it does it at the back, so the sprockets dont move,,,,you can double check tdc by getting number 1 piston on tdc with a screw driver in the plug hole i believe....good luck from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checking with a screw driver in the plug hole, the piston is at T.D.C, only thing that confuses me, is the timing marks on the pulley and the timing cover are not the same as the haynes manual states.
As in the pulley mark lining up after the mark on the timing cover and the manual says before the mark.

Hi there, what you prob done it put the chain on with the slack side at the front, then when you took all the locking stuff out the tensioner took up the slack and moved the pulleys the other way, i am assume the tensioner is on the back bit of the chain, so you want to put all you locking stuff back in position and put the chain on so all the slack is in the back of the chain, then when the tensioner does its thing it does it at the back, so the sprockets dont move,,,,you can double check tdc by getting number 1 piston on tdc with a screw driver in the plug hole i believe....good luck from Fred in Essex.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.