All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
corsa b x10xe 1999 1.0ltr:
was noticing a patch of oil underneath the car so looked at engine and it was coming from the oil pressure sender unit area but strangely not from the thread it seems but from the plug itself, I unplugged the lead then started the engine and oil was coming out from where the connector goes not where the thread is. is this a common thing with corsa's of this age?

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is what happened to mine, ive had to put two new ones in mine, so it must be common, the last one i put in isnt leaking now so i assume all is well :)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
It is a common fault. Just swap it for a new one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a common fault. Just swap it for a new one.
getting one today, I have never had to replace an oil sender unit on any of my old cars I have had previous. Strange it should leak out of that area where the connector is, could understand how it would leak from the thread though. Must be a bad designed sender unit if they go a lot on the corsa's or cheaply made I would think?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
If it does the job, get wherever is cheapest.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
nope patternt parts are usually the same as branded without the label. use some ptfe tape one the threads it helps them seal

Reactions: andy_ireland

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got a pressure switch today from motor factors 7 euro not bad at all - never even bothered checking price at the stealers. if it starts leaking again at least i only paid 7 euro for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Corsa 1.0 Oil Switch Leak

Mine's leaking too (1.0) - oil light had never come on because I kept it topped up. Came on a few days ago and I notice that the oil is really coming out fast. Mechanic looked at it and said that the thread holding it in was damaged and that the only way to fix it was to whip off the cylinder head and re-thread it. I'm presuming that's lots of wonga... looks like a DOA!

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Mine's leaking too (1.0) - oil light had never come on because I kept it topped up. Came on a few days ago and I notice that the oil is really coming out fast. Mechanic looked at it and said that the thread holding it in was damaged and that the only way to fix it was to whip off the cylinder head and re-thread it. I'm presuming that's lots of wonga... looks like a DOA!
I'd be questioning that, they leak like that all time and usually a replacement switch is all that's needed. How did he come to figure the thread was damaged? Threads don't damage themselves all of a sudden, so someone either cross threaded it or destroyed threads on purpose lol. For the price of it I'd call his bluff and buy a new oil switch and fit it. I'd put money on the threads being fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is this the plug which is on the front of the engine on the left by the thermostat (as you stand and look at it)? Think mine is leaking too.

·
Registered
588 Posts
fix it dont bodge it, jesus.:palm:
UPDATE

well i have changed the sensor and it leaked within like 4 months so what i did was i got a small ball of quick steel pushed it in the hole after i took the oil switch out,then i screwed the oil switch in gently by hand then half a turn with spanner and its working fine with no leaks...............

when my oil pressure switch was leaking and after i fixed it not a single EML light came on,,,for example i was under the understanding that this oil pressure switch is to measure low oil pressure hence no oil

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Buy switc

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
UPDATE

well i have changed the sensor and it leaked within like 4 months so what i did was i got a small ball of quick steel pushed it in the hole after i took the oil switch out,then i screwed the oil switch in gently by hand then half a turn with spanner and its working fine with no leaks...............

when my oil pressure switch was leaking and after i fixed it not a single EML light came on,,,for example i was under the understanding that this oil pressure switch is to measure low oil pressure hence no oil
The EML is the engine management light - which indicates if the ECU has recorded a fault code for a sensor. It doesn't monitor everything. The oil pressure switch operates the oil light which is entirely separate. If the oil pressure drops then the oil light will come on.

Low oil pressure doesn't necessarily mean no oil - it could mean a failed pump or worn bearings. The pump pumps the oil, but pressure is maintained by the resistance of the bearings to the flow of oil. If the bearings are worn there is less resistance so the oil pressure drops.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts