All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.2l 2003 petrol model. Ever since I had an oil change, the oil low light comes on quite regularly. At the moment it is on almost permanently and flickers when I'm driving. There is oil in the sump.

The car has always been thirsty on oil, and doesn't sound too good if you use cheapo oil either. At the last MOT the fella told me the oil filter could do with replacing.

The oil is not all mayonnaisey like it would be if it was the gasket (I've had that problem in a previous car!) There's no puddle under the car either. The engine does not appear to overheat either.

Any suggestions? Faulty sensor? Inadvertently put too much oil in? Is the car ok to drive (I'm constantly checking the dipstick)?

·
Banned
49 Posts
So you changed the oil but not the filter - am i reading that correct. If so you need to change the filter ASAP. These are known to collapse causing your symptoms.

The other common one is the oil pressure switch fails. Ive fitted loads of them over the years although they usually start to leak. its at the front of the engine on the drivers side with 1 single wire going to it. Check its not leaking when the cars up to temperature.

Check the dipstick for the level. There are some marks at the bottom. There is about 25mm between the bottom mark and top. It should be NO higher than the top mark and no lower than the bottom.

Personally I would be dubious about driving it because you might be starving the engine of oil which IS going to lead to a dead engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody else changed the oil but not the filter, though he did tell me the filter was on its way out. IIRC the pressure switch was changed/fixed a while back because it WAS leaking, now fixed. Checked the dipstick again, it is right on the high mark. Would the pressure sensor light up if there was too much oil?
thanks

·
Banned
49 Posts
Somebody else changed the oil but not the filter, though he did tell me the filter was on its way out. IIRC the pressure switch was changed/fixed a while back because it WAS leaking, now fixed. Checked the dipstick again, it is right on the high mark. Would the pressure sensor light up if there was too much oil?
thanks
The light wouldnt come on if there was too much oil. Are you saying its overfilled?. It should be ok if you 5mm over. Ive done it myself.

Id love to meet the person who can see when a oil filter is on its way out. He must have xray vision. The best thing to do is get a new filter and shove it on and see if that helps. It cant make it any worse. Failing that you need to get the pressure checked.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi kilt, could be that the oil pick up gauze is clogged up. It's in the sump. It would necessitate oil drain, removal of sump, change or clean up of part and putting it back together, with new gasket - then refill oil. Don't be tempted to use an 'oil flush', as that may dislodge more shite from the system that will clog things up even worse!

·
Registered
70 Posts
to be honest, I'd do what i said, (do it with cheaper oil) then drain oil and fit new oil filter and refill with proper oil after about 500 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.