All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I've started a new thread is just in case anyone may hesitate to reply to earlier one as it could have been misunderstood and lead to security / break in worries.

OK then ::: since yesterday and the passenger door lock mechanism failing >>>>>

This morning :
Got passenger seat out :thumbs_up: Took some time to spot how to get seatbelt pre-tensioner electrical connection under the seat unclipped!

Removed panel (at least as far as I could so I can get into door):thumbs_up:

Removed outer door handle:thumbs_up: (just to get better view of mechanism box)

The fault is definately in the mechanism box; using the outside handle connection inside the door I can tell that there is something the lever is trying to engage on to trip the catch open but its just "jumping/sliding" over it (sorry bit difficult to describe). Even taking all the load off the door catch by leaning on the door no joy. It's just not engaging on what it should do inside the mechanism.

I can see 2 small cross head screws on the lock box which I could undo but I suspect I may end up with mecahnism guts all over the place.
I guess I am going to have to get a replacement anyway but anyone any ideas please about taking this apart in situ.

Anyone ever taken one apart at all? How does the catch work?:confused:

If all else fails I'll be going to Vauxhall dealer to see if they know a trick but that's defeat :(

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Just a thought - if it is a 3 door can you remove the rear trim panel and get at the back of the bolts (2) holding the catch plate in place? If you got a flexible dremel onto the back of those bolts you could cut a groove and then use a screwdriver to wind them out. It depends out long they are - whether they will undo enough to release the catch plate before the head fouls on the back of the door.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a thought - if it is a 3 door can you remove the rear trim panel and get at the back of the bolts (2) holding the catch plate in place? If you got a flexible dremel onto the back of those bolts you could cut a groove and then use a screwdriver to wind them out. It depends out long they are - whether they will undo enough to release the catch plate before the head fouls on the back of the door.
great idea thanks - but I think the gap between the catch plate and the striker is about 5mm and the depth of the captive bolts that hold the coutersunk catchplate bolts is about 5 plus bodyskin. However, thinking about it they may wind into the location of the catch. I'll have a look and if a goer weigh up the cost of a dremmel versus a dealer!!

V

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
great idea thanks - but I think the gap between the catch plate and the striker is about 5mm and the depth of the captive bolts that hold the coutersunk catchplate bolts is about 5 plus bodyskin. However, thinking about it they may wind into the location of the catch. I'll have a look and if a goer weigh up the cost of a dremmel versus a dealer!!

V
If you get a Dremel buy the flexible shaft for it - they are brilliant. With one of those you could shorten the bolts, then cut the slot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was I stuffed - No

Sorted:thumbs_up:

I tried getting to the back of the catch plate but no joy it was too tight.

In the end I bent a thin skewer and going in through the passenger door handle pushed it into the slot where the exterior door handle mechanism operates until it engaged with the opening lever inside the mechansim. It was a lot of trial and error but eventually with a bit of jiggling the door popped open. :D

Tried to open the mechanism when I had got it off but just could not get it to split, nor could I replicate the problem so back on and hope for the best:eek:

Thanks for the ideas.

PS before I replaced it I cut a small hole in the housing so if the door handle is removed (can only be done from the inside) I can operate the mechanism and release the door more easily :thumbs_up:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts