All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly a year ago now i took out home broadband and phone with orange, (Later became EE), simply because they were the cheapest and offered the fastest speed for my area (Not hard really at 2mb).

Problems started when it then took 10 working days to activate the line, (About two weeks in real time), then a further ten working days for them to activate the broadband, of course they were late in doing this and in the end it took nearly a month for me to get what i paid for because naturally they were happy to take the money straight away.

After finally getting it sorted everything was fine until I needed to move house about 5 months later.
I was told this was fine and they just need to activate the line at the new address and the usual wait applies like when the contract first started.

This is where the problems started.

I told them one week before i moved to start the transfer.

so after the first ten working days i checked the line and its not active, (No dial tone).
Try giving them a ring from my mobile and an on hold for over an hour before giving up, then realising that its a premium rate number from a mobile.

So the next day went into one of their stores to ask what was going on, the people in store of course can't do anything and instead hand me on of there mobiles and i'm on hold in the store for 1 hour 45 mins before i get an answer.

The guy on the other end of the phone, somewhere in bangladesh i think, tells me i need a different department and puts me on hold for another 45 minutes before somebody else answers the phone and tells me theres no record of me telling them i was moving and that the department i needed had just closed, would have being open if they had answered the phone within an hour.

So i go back the next day, sit in the store this time on hold for 50 minutes, and again am told theres still no record and am passed between departments each time with a long wait.

Eventually they get move recorded, or so i think, and i go away thinking it is finally getting sorted.

After another ten working days its still not working, so back to the store i go and spend another hour on hold, this time i'm told they've only changed the address on the account and not moved the services.

So this time they eventually start moving the services and so another ten working days begins, and again nothing happens.

Back to the store.

Another hour on hold.

This time i'm told they tried to activate the line but it wasn't working and they can't tell me why.

So again I wait.

and wait

and wait.

Back to the store.

This time i finally get an answer from them.
They rent the line from BT so they asked BT to fix it.
BT sold the job to a third party.

orange don't know who the third party is and can't tell me how long it is going to take.

so more waiting.

Eventually get an update from them and am told the third party refused the job and sent it back to BT who have since said they need a part shipping from the ****ing moon or something shit like that and it could be another four weeks before it arrives.

Meanwhile orange are happily taking the money for all this shit.

eventually get sick of this shit as its one excuse after another and send them a letter telling them to **** off and give me six months of payments back or i take them to court.
The letter explains that whilst they do have lengthy small print in a 900,000,000,000 page contract the simple fact is i pay them for a service they are not providing.
Direct debit cancelled and they are given 14 days to give the money back before they end up in county court.

Meanwhile i start getting emails from them saying i haven't paid them and they are adding late charges (Like i give a shit at this point).

Finally get a reply from them nearly a month later, (Working seven days a week is the only reason they didn't end up in court).

They have cancelled the contract but are stating that i didn't tell them i was moving until about three months AFTER i moved, basically taking no responsibility for what happened and in the end giving half of one months payments back in a cheque.

Since then i thought about just leaving it and saying nothing more and just going with another company, talk talk in fact.

it doesn't stop there however, whilst on the phone to talk talk, who answered in under 5 mins, noticed i was on a mobile and rang me back, they said that the entire exchange for my area wasn't serviced by orange and there was no way they could ever have provided the service, furthermore that they would have known this straight away.

so right now i am busy writing another letter to them, this time demanding all the money back, plus charges of my own for the complete waste of ****ing time over six months, plus a letter to trading standards just to really put the shits up them.

and to make it all worse, talk talk have now said they too are having problems and i will just have to wait and see what happens.

Now i am thinking i may just call loads of suppliers and see which one gets it working first, the rest can get lost.

rant over for now, will have updates on this i expect as things go along.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Just make sure the letters sent are recorded

·
Premium Member
18,555 Posts
it doesn't stop there however, whilst on the phone to talk talk, who answered in under 5 mins, noticed i was on a mobile and rang me back, they said that the entire exchange for my area wasn't serviced by orange and there was no way they could ever have provided the service, furthermore that they would have known this straight away.
That bit sounds like absolute rubbish. Even when an exchange isn't unbundled chances are they can provide broadband via BT. I'll bet Orange could provide it in that area if talk talk can.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Go the the top. I had a lot of problems with my orange mobile account. I got really annoyed and Emailed the CEO of EE. I thought its worth a punt, didnt expect much from it. 2 weeks later the CEO's assistant rings me, appolgises a lot, sends me a brand new phone and adds on 500mbs extra of data to my contract for my trouble.

Might be worth a go for yourself

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

^
Thats the CEO of orange/EE

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
Nearly a year ago now i took out home broadband and phone with orange, (Later became EE), simply because they were the cheapest and offered the fastest speed for my area (Not hard really at 2mb).

Problems started when it then took 10 working days to activate the line, (About two weeks in real time), then a further ten working days for them to activate the broadband, of course they were late in doing this and in the end it took nearly a month for me to get what i paid for because naturally they were happy to take the money straight away.
This is the case for almost all ADSL broadband providers. It requires an active telephone line first, so the first engineer (who's employed by BT Openreach) goes out and does that, then another engineer activates the broadband.
Timescales are all based on BT Openreach's availability for engineers and are regulated by Offcom so no one gets it done quicker and is thus fair.
They might have taken a months payment in advance i'd have thought?
They shouldn't charge you for the time you hadn't had service.

so after the first ten working days i checked the line and its not active, (No dial tone).
Try giving them a ring from my mobile and an on hold for over an hour before giving up, then realising that its a premium rate number from a mobile.

So the next day went into one of their stores to ask what was going on, the people in store of course can't do anything and instead hand me on of there mobiles and i'm on hold in the store for 1 hour 45 mins before i get an answer.

The guy on the other end of the phone, somewhere in bangladesh i think, tells me i need a different department and puts me on hold for another 45 minutes before somebody else answers the phone and tells me theres no record of me telling them i was moving and that the department i needed had just closed, would have being open if they had answered the phone within an hour.

So i go back the next day, sit in the store this time on hold for 50 minutes, and again am told theres still no record and am passed between departments each time with a long wait.
One of the problems i often face is friends and family moaning about premium rate numbers but they won't pay a few quid extra a month for an ISP with a freephone number and some of them even have all UK based support

This time i finally get an answer from them.
They rent the line from BT so they asked BT to fix it.
BT sold the job to a third party.
It's not so much sold to a third party, but with all the extra problems with the bad weather this year BT Openreach engineers are over worked and under resourced, so they've had to take on contractors to help out until they get back on their feet. Sadly they don't make enough money to take on more staff consistently

orange don't know who the third party is and can't tell me how long it is going to take.

so more waiting.

Eventually get an update from them and am told the third party refused the job and sent it back to BT who have since said they need a part shipping from the ****ing moon or something shit like that and it could be another four weeks before it arrives.
I've worked in communications tech for 6 years and never heard of anything like that before, unless it's a major problem affecting multiple users (i.e chavs have drove a car into the green junction box and burnt it out and the equipment has been destroyed

Meanwhile orange are happily taking the money for all this shit.

eventually get sick of this shit as its one excuse after another and send them a letter telling them to **** off and give me six months of payments back or i take them to court.
The letter explains that whilst they do have lengthy small print in a 900,000,000,000 page contract the simple fact is i pay them for a service they are not providing.
Direct debit cancelled and they are given 14 days to give the money back before they end up in county court.

Meanwhile i start getting emails from them saying i haven't paid them and they are adding late charges (Like i give a shit at this point).

Finally get a reply from them nearly a month later, (Working seven days a week is the only reason they didn't end up in court).

They have cancelled the contract but are stating that i didn't tell them i was moving until about three months AFTER i moved, basically taking no responsibility for what happened and in the end giving half of one months payments back in a cheque.
That's a pain to be honest. If you cancel the direct debit the company won't care because they won't notice. The emails are all automated and the only person who suffers is you as it can affect your credit rating.

This makes much more sense now.
3 sections of BT

BT Openreach - the engineers who do the work and the back end department that process orders.

BT Wholesale - This is a part of BT that sells their broadband product to any company that wants to buy it. This includes BT retail and most ISP's will use this service to provide their product to someone when they don't have their own equipment in the area. This sounds like what you are describing to be honest, and it's not good from the rest i've read.

BT Retail - The company regular independent users get broadband from

so right now i am busy writing another letter to them, this time demanding all the money back, plus charges of my own for the complete waste of ****ing time over six months, plus a letter to trading standards just to really put the shits up them.
Forget trading standards, they'll laugh at that. If you want to get to them compain to ISPA (you'd need to google them)
ISPA monitors ISP's and passes on compaints to them and it makes the ISP look really bad in front of the regulators.

If you make 3 x complaints to ISPA on the same thing (lets say you don't get what you want from the first 2) then the ISP has to issue you a deadlock letter.
You can then use this to write a complaint to CICAS. You need to be clear what you want and why. CICAS pass it on to the ISP and charge them approx £50
If the ISP wants to defend their position, they submit their defence to CICAS and CICAS make the decision. It costs the ISP approx £500 to defend, so if it's less than that, chances are you'll just get what you want. It saves them money and time.

and to make it all worse, talk talk have now said they too are having problems and i will just have to wait and see what happens.

Now i am thinking i may just call loads of suppliers and see which one gets it working first, the rest can get lost.

rant over for now, will have updates on this i expect as things go along.
You can't call lots of suppliers because when you put an order in with an ISP they submit it to Openreach as mentioned above and that prevents other ISP's from placing an order at the same time.

The problems might be with the broadband equipment in the exchange. That can be a big problem because BT Openreach need to diagnose the fault and BT Wholesale would be the ones arranging equipment to be swapped. The problem with that is BT Wholesale have the IQ (from my experience) of the average McDonalds worker (no offence Cookie...ok, maybe a little)
I.e they're not really suited to complex IT tasks

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I have a contract with EE to install and maintain part of their networks including their broadband for their stores as well as Asda stores and I have to say - it is by far one of the worst companies I have ever worked with.
Almost all of their network services are actually outsourced to other companies - not subcontractors, I mean other suppliers, so nobody ever knows what it happening.

Asda for example - all of their 10 modems fail to autenticate - so I call EE and explain, they then tell me that phone line has no DSL synchronisation (same thing that Orange said to you needs activating on the line) and they need to get BT to come out to fix it.
Load of ******** I tell them because I can see it has DSL synchronisation and I tested the modem with test credentials and get online perfectly.
They then tell me to phone the hotspot provider for EE who are in Amsterdam, and they then tell me I need to call their technical advisors who for whatever reason do not speak English - AT ALL.
All i wanted was the right username and password and they want the Earth in return

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That bit sounds like absolute rubbish. Even when an exchange isn't unbundled chances are they can provide broadband via BT. I'll bet Orange could provide it in that area if talk talk can.
you're probably right, i expect there is a lot more to this story that they weren't telling me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies, just remembered i have fibre optic cabling and sky dishes attached to this flat as well as the BT line so may just go with someone like virgin media.

Had good experiences with virgin media, especially with repairs to phone lines etc.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a Mobile through Tmobile and since the EE merge the internet speed is SH*T (I know it's not home broadband, but its the same company).

Took me over a month to find out the reason it's shit is because my phone selects the mast with the best signal, regardless of internet speed. And apparently, an Orange is closest to my work and home, and the Orange masts are extremely slow. I run SpeedTests and get between 0-0.1mbps... I said I'm on Tmobile, not Orange... I didn't sign a contract with Orange, I don't want to use their service!

Internets still ****, I was about to take another phone out on tmobile until this happened... Only 18 months left on this contract :mad:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Mobile through Tmobile and since the EE merge the internet speed is SH*T (I know it's not home broadband, but its the same company).

Took me over a month to find out the reason it's shit is because my phone selects the mast with the best signal, regardless of internet speed. And apparently, an Orange is closest to my work and home, and the Orange masts are extremely slow. I run SpeedTests and get between 0-0.1mbps... I said I'm on Tmobile, not Orange... I didn't sign a contract with Orange, I don't want to use their service!

Internets still ****, I was about to take another phone out on tmobile until this happened... Only 18 months left on this contract :mad:
My mobile contract is up in April and i was thinking of moving to ee after but after all this and the fact 3 have shown they are much better at fixing things, (in my experience ofcourse, your own experience may vary). I think I'll be sticking around.
Also the internet packages are ace, being tethering for the whole six months and they don't seem in the least bit bothered.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ironically enough, I had a call from EE 10 minutes after I posted that last comment...

The techie apologised for the wait, they install new hardware on the Orange mast, but it still made know difference so they're still looking into it.

Atleast I got a reply I suppose. I will be getting some sort of discount at some point!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This story gets even funnier now.

As said earlier I'm taking out a new contract with talk talk.

Noticed recently that the phone line was active yet still no sign of the broadband.
Gave talk talk a ring from the landline and they had no record of the number I was ringing them from. Or in fact any record of me having an active account with them.
All they could tell me was that they cancelled the order because my address isn't served by the exchange they thought it was or something along those lines.

Anyway after nearly an hour of being passed around somebody finally had the sense to check the location of the number I was calling from and they gave me my old address from six months ago where I originally took out the orange contract. But I had never given talk talk that address. (why would I?)

So it would appear Orange have activated the line despite me not having an account with them anymore and with no means to charge me for it.

Interestingly having paid my line rental up front this time talk talk are making a renewed effort to finally give me some broadband, I'll be getting a new phone number but in the meantime its courtesy of Orange, which is fine by me.

More updates as they develop.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
It's quite expensive for me compared to ADSL, but it's been reliable in the last 6 or so years. Their Superhub is shit though. The box for them i could spit on from my window though so i guess that helps
that sucks for me it's £22 i get around 35Mb/s despite it being 'upto 30' . or adsl would be ~£16 for the phone line alone and another ~£15 for the adsl at around 3-4Mb/s

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Go the the top. I had a lot of problems with my orange mobile account. I got really annoyed and Emailed the CEO of EE. I thought its worth a punt, didnt expect much from it. 2 weeks later the CEO's assistant rings me, appolgises a lot, sends me a brand new phone and adds on 500mbs extra of data to my contract for my trouble.

Might be worth a go for yourself

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

^
Thats the CEO of orange/EE
I shall be contacting said gentleman to ask why over the past 18 months they have never taken the direct debt amount agreed. Since they went EE it's been dreadful - fortunately I'm out of contract so can cancel anytime I like. It's just been too much hassle to look into it so far - and everytime I ring them they give me more back than I paid them in the first place - but I'm getting fed up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts