All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new here so bare with me on my first post,

I currently own a Corsa C 1.2 SXI 55 plate as my first car. Mileage is low, currently 50k. Its a lovely first car and I use it all the time for work etc. However it recently developed a problem with idling and acceleration.

The Engine Management Light has appeared also and is driving me nuts. I hate it! The car struggles to accelerate, and by this I mean I have to Rev it more or otherwise it may stall when pulling away. This only happens when I first start the car and the first few start and stops otherwise later on in the journey it is fine.

The weird part about this is the Engine Management Light appears and disappears occasionally and I believe this is something to do with the restarting the car 30 times without the problem or something, idk.

However, when the Engine Management Light is off, it is perfect! There is nothing wrong with the car at all, runs spot on accelerating and pulling away, as soon as the light comes back, bam, runs rough again.

Fuel consuption is awful too I believe, I'm currently doing about 200 to the tank, which is about 18 miles to the gallon or something? Bad at math sorry! I do short journeys but I was expecting more than 200 to the tank.

I have read on-line and looked at the possible causes:
MAF
Vacuum Leak
Lambda/O2 Sensors

I replaced the MAF with one from a scrappy and nothing improved really. It still runs the same, either meaning both of the MAFs I had are crap or it isn't the MAF at all.

I have sprayed Carb cleaner all over the Vacuum Hoses in the Engine, and the car didn't rev at all and I couldn't find a leak in the hoses.

What do you guys suggest? Changing MAF again? Lambda Sensors? Please help!

·
Banned
885 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
A quick check for the MAF, is to remove its plug and drive the car, the light will probably come on, but if the performance improves, the MAF needs replacing.

It might pay to give the throttle body a good clean out with the carb cleaner and a small brush.
You may have problems with the Lambda sensor, but from how you describe this, I would be inclined to blame the temperature sensor. - The clue for this is when does the problem arise. If it is always when the engine is EITHER hot or cold, then that probably is the cause of your fault.
If it is when the engine is hot, a faulty temperature sensor would account for the poor fuel consumption.
Be advised that if you change ANY sensor, it is always better to buy a genuine GM (Vauxhall) one, as the after-market sensors are not always reliable.

Regards

·
Registered
131 Posts
It could be plugs,or coil pack,it could be one of many things,I could go on and on.But with the fuel you are using I would certainly say your engine is running rich.To be honest I would get the codes read,that will at least point you in the right direction.It may turn out to be something simple like a sensor playing up.
Just changing parts willy nilly is not the way to go,and can turn out very expensive in the end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.