All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Swiss Rimmer!
632 Posts
When i did mine i got some nitromors, about £7 a tin, slap that stuff on the alloys and leave them 15 mins to soak. The paint will just come straight off, then just scrape it off, clean it up, sand down till really smooth, then put on your primer and stuff.

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
If you werent looking to take it back to bare metal, you can simply sand it down enough for the bad areas to not be seen anymore. For a better job though, do as others have said above and take your pick out of many different paint strippers etc..

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When i did mine i got some nitromors, about £7 a tin, slap that stuff on the alloys and leave them 15 mins to soak. The paint will just come straight off, then just scrape it off, clean it up, sand down till really smooth, then put on your primer and stuff.
does nitromors damages the alloy finish or was it ok?
because iv got some of that sitting on my windowseal from decoratine the other week

·
Swiss Rimmer!
632 Posts
Nope, won't damage them at all. Dependant what kind of paint it is, it'll either come up as a really thick gloopy colour, or it'll flake off sort of. It's good stuff. But don't get on your hands!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Glad your happy with them :)

yeah man use nitromors, tis quality stooff! yeah but keep it off your hands man, it burns!!! as i found out :(

·
Swiss Rimmer!
632 Posts
yeah heard its nasty stuff lol
ill give it ago,im gonna paint them when mums on hol so i can put them near the fire to dry quicker lol
haha!

Not to mention, clean them up really good afterwards too, like wash them with water and a sponge or something 'cos even if you wipe the nitromors off and it looks clean, that paint will not stick!

·
Swiss Rimmer!
632 Posts
and then is normal primer ok?or do you get like alloy primer?
alloy primer.. lol.

Yes normal primers fine man :) Halfrauds primer is pretty good stuff! I went and got some other stuff from my local handyman, only cost me £3.35 but half way through spraying it spat out aload of the stuff and got clogged up which caused a right mess :( Halfords stuff hasn't let me down yet.

Obviously depending on the colour you do them depends on the outcome.. If black, use black primer, if blue, use gray primer.. Not too dark not too light, if white, use white primer etc etc.

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
i thought with it being bare alloy you will need to use etch primer
this would be ideal, but its generally expensive and to be fair, the results compared to using normal primer are minimal. If you're anal, and dont mind spalshing some cash, etch primer would be best.

·
Swiss Rimmer!
632 Posts
Who gives it a ****? It's cav slabs.. Not some expensive alloys. It'll get scratched and marked as soon as you put them in the car or get tyres fit. I didn't use etch primer, and my alloys came out pretty decent with normal primer.

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
You will still get a decent finish with normal primer, im just stating the facts about etch primer.
yeh, waht ryan says is true, etch primer is the peoper thing to use for the job. The initial finish wont really be affected, its the whole lifespan and the way normal primer can chip off easier than etch primer does.

Granted as you said, they are only cav slabs, but still, ryans point stands. It's up to at the end of the day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.