1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

New to the forum after getting a 1.0 12v Corsa,
After alot of thought im going to do a redtop conversion,

Was a member (still am) of the Puntosportsforum, Where i had 2 x Punto GT's & a Punto HGT Abarth, (Username: Bullitph28)

The corsa i have is rust free, never been welded, apart from it having a dent on the drivers side wing & being red which is faded in areas the bodywork is pretty mint, (have new wing is same colour to fit)
Going to put a lot of time, effort & money into this project,

My plans are:

Complete Respray ( Colour Still Deciding????? )
C20xe Redtop Engine, Driveshafts, Loom & ECU
Corsa Gsi Front, Rear Bumpers, Arches & Skirts
Corsa Gsi Rear Spoiler
Badboy Bonnet With RS Turbo Vents
Astra Gsi Front Discs & Calipars
Battery Relocated To The Boot Area
Lowered On Coilovers
Cav Slabs Resprayed In Graphite Grey With 195.40.15 tyres
Rear Show Cage

Interior Still Deciding????
Fitting Electrics????

First steps are to get the bumpers, bonnet, arches & spoiler fitted so i can get it the for the spray,
Then i can get the everything else fitted after that,

Please note: yet to get the parts so if you are selling or know of anyone selling please let me know,
Arches are being bought tomorrow.

Heres a couple of pictures of the corsa as it sits now:

Any help/info of this matter will be widely appreciated.

Punto GT No1: http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?118641-Punto-GT-Project-Summer

Punto GT No2 http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?123558-New-Punto-Gt-Project

Punto HGT Abarth: http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?126497-MK2-Punto-HGT-Abarth

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Looks like a clean base car. Unfortunately though, you've chosen the worse possible car to start with. The 1.0 has the ECU in a different place to the others, and a different dash loom, so it's a nightmare to convert to any other engine.
Do-able, but more difficult than any other.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I like it!

Welcome to the forums.

Why a GSI rear axle? I thought all corsa B rear axles are the same?
IMHO, don't go for wide arches, stick with gsi stuff/oem.

Also Front Astra GTE. cav/cally front 256x24 brake discs are fine with uprated pads. Leave standard Drums at the back. That's talking from personal experience :) No need to have discs at the back, if you still want discs at the back then fit a BIAS valve in the brake lines, probably you will need to make some new ones as you don't want too much pressure on the calipers on the rear or else they will lock up. But I have a rear 4 stud disc system if you want.

Please no vents on bonnet! Ruins it all - but then again its totally upto you but I fear you may change your mind shortly afterwards. I have seen a range rover sport vent on the airbox side which looked smart and probably out of all the setups I would do that only - I have a bad boy extended bonnet with mfd scoop built in I got with my project but I will be getting rid of it in the near future lol.

Coilovers wise - get a very Decent setup or else it will handle not as good.
Either something like Gaz gold, avo, or go for very good big piston dampers standard fitment such as bilstein with a decent set of springs. That works super cool.

Interior wise people usually go for calibra leathers :)

Whenever you do a mod always plan ahead as you are fully aware lol, but aim the mods for the xe in the end. MAke sure the x-member is strengthened when the XE is coming in.

I quite like the corsa :)

You might reconsider the PAS side of things as the EPAS ECU gets in the way of mounting the XE ecu which situates in the drivers side kick panel rather than the engine bay which is where the 1.0 ECU is placed. To tackle this all you do is pull the wires through. There are guides regarding this in the tutorials section and professor google.

Electrics wise ... more hassle than it's worth tbh. Leave all the stuff as it is like the winding windows etc.

I'd like to see the end of this. good stuff.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Ibys, fitting discs to the rear of a non running corsa then removing them doesn't count as experience for how effective they are :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like it!

Welcome to the forums.

Why a GSI rear axle? I thought all corsa B rear axles are the same?
IMHO, don't go for wide arches, stick with gsi stuff/oem.

Also Front Astra GTE. cav/cally front 256x24 brake discs are fine with uprated pads. Leave standard Drums at the back. That's talking from personal experience :) No need to have discs at the back, if you still want discs at the back then fit a BIAS valve in the brake lines, probably you will need to make some new ones as you don't want too much pressure on the calipers on the rear or else they will lock up. But I have a rear 4 stud disc system if you want.

Please no vents on bonnet! Ruins it all - but then again its totally upto you but I fear you may change your mind shortly afterwards. I have seen a range rover sport vent on the airbox side which looked smart and probably out of all the setups I would do that only - I have a bad boy extended bonnet with mfd scoop built in I got with my project but I will be getting rid of it in the near future lol.

Coilovers wise - get a very Decent setup or else it will handle not as good.
Either something like Gaz gold, avo, or go for very good big piston dampers standard fitment such as bilstein with a decent set of springs. That works super cool.

Interior wise people usually go for calibra leathers :)

Whenever you do a mod always plan ahead as you are fully aware lol, but aim the mods for the xe in the end. MAke sure the x-member is strengthened when the XE is coming in.

I quite like the corsa :)

You might reconsider the PAS side of things as the EPAS ECU gets in the way of mounting the XE ecu which situates in the drivers side kick panel rather than the engine bay which is where the 1.0 ECU is placed. To tackle this all you do is pull the wires through. There are guides regarding this in the tutorials section and professor google.

Electrics wise ... more hassle than it's worth tbh. Leave all the stuff as it is like the winding windows etc.

I'd like to see the end of this. good stuff.
I was going for the GSI rear axel for the disc conversion, but having looked you can get the rear disc conversion brackets which will in the long run save me some time.

Astra GTE seems to be the most common used brakes through all the conversions that iv seen, so may go with that. What hubs would i need to use???

Would be going for the leather look inside so calibra seats i will look into them.

Theres a corsa redtop thats just ended on ebay that i was watching, which is located near where i work so may have to message him as he has the GTE brakes for sale plus can & him how he came across fitting his engine which would be a big help.

Interested in the the rear disc system & bonnet if you can send pictures & price over :)

Thank for the warm welcome & the help on this.

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
Don't fit rear discs

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Ibys, fitting discs to the rear of a non running corsa then removing them doesn't count as experience for how effective they are :thumbs_up:
awh. Erm - yeah about that .....

Anyway lol, Bullitph30 - Don't fit rear discs in - I refuse to sell them to you!
Only joking. If you really want them PM me, you will have to figure out how the handbrake cable works as i didn't get that far in terms of fitting them fully and making them functional :palm:

Aaaaannnddd ... Bonnet is not to be sold atm. I need a bonnet for the time being and will be using this one for now - when I do come round to selling it I will let you know. But the mfd scoop looks not so nice imo although I will be using it on a temp basis :)

I think I have some 2.0 brake discs and calipers somewhere in the garage - I'm sure I do ... £40 posted and they're yours. Will have to dig them out though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Decided to get another corsa as a base for the conversion,
Its a:

1.4 sport in blue
15" Team dynamics Pro alloys
Blue & black Bucket seats
3" Rolled tipped exhaust
Electric Windows
Power Steering
Aircon

Engine seems to start fine, on idle sounds fine, no banging knocking ect, "BUT"

This is pretty much what the owner says about the problem:

speedo doesn't work
engine light comes on but this is due to speedo not working as its electronic and it doesn't no what speed the car is doing
this only happens sometimes, it does not effect the cars drive, when the car slows down the light comes on but will only stall when stopped but will start again straight away, this doesn't bother me as i use the rev counter to judge speed.
this started same time as speedo went
cigarette lighter doesn't work either

Could this be some sensor gone or just a blown fuse????

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Time For New Pictures As Iv Collected The Car & Looked Round It Abit More.

Bit off work needs doing,

Exterior:

Replace Both Wings & Doors
Replace Bonnet With Badboy Bonnet
Replace Boot
Small 2p Size dent on passenger side quarter
Couple of small dents on the roof
On the good side the undernearth is mint
Change Wheels To Cav Slabs ( So Theses Will Be Up For Sale Soon )
Change Bumpers To GSI Full Kit Inc Sideskirts

Interior:

Change interior to full GSI
Black felt the roof lining
Flock all cream plastic covers in black
Black felt the parcelShelf
Replace Aerial Cable As Previous Cut The End Off

Engine: (FOR NOW)

Full Service
ECU Chip
Induction Kit
Replace Rocket Cover Gasket

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Ecu chip?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I've :thumbs_up:

Reactions: Bullitph30

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Can i get abit of advice on the following conversion,

I have purchased ( Brought But Not Delivered yet )

Engine mounts
Gear linkage
Gearbox spacers
Anti roll bar lowering blocks
Corsa B C20XE conversion drive shafts

With one of the driveshafts the end that fit the corsa hub needs replacing is this easy to just change?

Also

Apart from the engine & gearbox themselves Is there anything else that i have missed?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Big brakes and decent suspension :)

In my experience, taking the hubs off were a nightmare!! Mine were all rusted up though.

What kind of shafts have you bought? As either you will need conversion hubs that have 33 spline (iirc) or if you have the ones that have the cav mk2 1600 inners etc then you can use your original hubs.

Loom and ecu as well you will need lol.

You will need a exhaust system either being made up or buy one already done. Best 2" bore size or bigger if you are going to run big power but 2" is good.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.