All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right.

Theres been a lot of talk about this, and I promised to continue development once I had ordered some new microchips.

Well, they have arrived.

For anyone that dont know, the PICS (working title) is going to be an add on board thats plug and play an enables you to fully control the TID/MFD found in the Corsa B.

So at last we can have a fully working digital rev counter and/or speedo displayed on the MFD.

I'll use this thread to keep everyone updated on the progress.
I ordered a few goodies including some extra microprocessors that I have not used before and will be trying a few experiments to see which would be the best to use.

Theres going to be lots of little 'one sentance' updates, for any more info on what they mean, do a quick google search :)

The microchips:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
i've got a rev counter and speedo right in front of me =\

this seems pointless tbh... no offence, good luck with it and that

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It can do much more than speed an revs though diamonds, It can show pretty much anything you want it to.

Imagine maybe a keycode entry system like in the film 'The Transporter' and using the MFD as the screen for the numbers :D (maybe thats a bit over the top lol)

At the moment, im having problems getting my laptop to read the chips signature - thats 64bit for you :(

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
It can do much more than speed an revs though diamonds, It can show pretty much anything you want it to.

Imagine maybe a keycode entry system like in the film 'The Transporter' and using the MFD as the screen for the numbers :D (maybe thats a bit over the top lol)

At the moment, im having problems getting my laptop to read the chips signature - thats 64bit for you :(
what do you mean by signature? what micros are you using?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ateml AVR's

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AVR Studio? :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
AVR Studio? :)
Yeah that was the one :palm: haha

That big mother ****er in the photo, i think a mate of mine has used that in his electronic coursework. He used it somewhere in the circuit for a digital voice recorder.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Theres a few AVR chips in 40 pins.

I just installed a beta version of AVR Studio that apparently works with Win7 64bit, gonna give it a shot now

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally, I got some progress tonight.

Was worried that my programmer was broken, which kind of annoyed me because it was ordered specially from the USA.

Anyways, I flashed the firmware via an XP machine and was messing about with some wires on the board and got a few different signatures, and then, I get this!

So now I know my programmer is working, but the wiring on these boards is so sensitive its unreal!

Need to get some of these but cant find any over here in the UK for a sensible price
http://www.robotshop.com/eu/netmedi...=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=GoogleUK
I looked on Maplin, but I can only find them that are male at one end, and female at the other end :(
I need a female on both ends (insert joke here), but will be programming some chips this weekend at some point hopefully

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes. The possibilities are litterally endless mate.

New pics of my work area :D

·
Registered
752 Posts
nice one AJ.. if i knew a thing or two about PIC programming i would help you :/
i got my mate back into it hes been doing it all with linux programs.. hes a member on here heh

heh.. man, thats one tidy desk.. mine's full of bits of my corsa, LEDing things up, bench testing electric windows and rebuilding my 15A power supply ive just burned out >_< :/

like to say thanks for doing this project AJ :)

*sniffs air.. LED burning out smell*

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol, its only tidy because I just assembled the desk about 30 minutes before posting the above :D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the base of the MCU ready, and was just about to send a test message to the MFD, and realised I got no diodes left :( :( GRRRR

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing how your planning on working out the mpg, as the corsa ECUs dont report nor record the amount of fuel used, so unless your going to install and calibrate your own flow meters on the fuel lines then i cant see that being a possibility.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts