All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am completely useless with cars, for a few months now our car doesn't start if it has been used recently. Most of the time if the car has been used in the last hour when you turn the ignition all the lights radio etc work but the car doesn't start, you can hear a clicking. Once it's been left a few hours it will start fine again. Have been ignoring this problem for a while trying to avoid these situations but have been stranded a few too many times now! Father in law checked the car with one of the diagnostic things and it says no problem. We bought the car from them and they say a few years ago they had a similar problem and the egc valve needed changing. Garage said this would cost £250 to replace so just wondering whether anyone could advise me if that sounds like what could be the problem?! I can't seem to find anything online that says a symptom of an egc valve that needs changing is intermittent starting. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what it could be? I am dreading a massive bill :( It is a Corsa cdti design 1.4. 2005

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Sure you don't mean egr or ICV? Never heard of the above.

Egr would not stop it starting, sounds like the issue is when the engine is hot

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but, I've had similar problems with my corsa b. Car would be fine for ages, then, all of a sudden wouldn't start. It would happen on both cold and hot starts. Sometimes car would sluggishly crank, without catching, then the battery would die after a few attempts. Other times, I would just get a loud single click from starter solenoid/bendix. After checking battery voltage, cranking power, checking/cleaning/tightening all electrical connections to battery/starter motor and earth straps and impedance testing all wiring, I swapped out the starter motor for a 2nd hand jobby from fleabay (£13.49 inc. P&P). Car started 1st turn of the key and, touch wood, has been fine since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I have a similar problem with my 2001 SXI DTI, she will work all day long but then you jump in turn the key and nothing. Everything else works but no ignition, take the key out and try again sometimes nothing but sometime she starts. Do I need a replacement starter motor and if so can an idiot it one?

·
Banned
885 Posts
If, when you turn the key to 'ignition', the warning lights do NOT come on, then the problem is more likely to be the ignition switch itself OR connections to/from it.

Changing that switch is a 'bit of a pain' so be sure that the connections are OK first of all.

Regards

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi I have a similar problem with my 2001 SXI DTI, she will work all day long but then you jump in turn the key and nothing. Everything else works but no ignition, take the key out and try again sometimes nothing but sometime she starts. Do I need a replacement starter motor and if so can an idiot it one?
Are you getting any check engine light indicating that the computer senses a problem when this happens? Or does the car act like nothing is ever wrong?

Anyway, it could be the starter, could be a loose wire or bad earth connection to the starter, could also be an immobilizer problem (there's a chip inside your key, and a transponder mounted near the ignition senses its presence before allowing the engine to start....but I believe this one would show up with a check engine light).

·
Registered
420 Posts
If there's no check engine lights on then its probably the starter (or a faulty wire that goes to the starter) and not an immobilizer issue.

A starter isn't that hard to remove and refit per se (just a few bolts and wires), except that it must be carefully shimmed to make sure that the teeth on the starter motor gear line up properly with the teeth on the flywheel. If they line up incorrectly then it will either bind or wear out the teeth unevenly until something fails. When the old starter is removed, one must make sure that they don't lose any of the shims that were originally on there when the starter was bolted in place, and then check carefully that the replacement starter has the same dimensions as the original. Sometimes aftermarket replacement starters are slightly different than the factory originals, and the installer must compensate for this by adding, removing or adjusting the shims to get the teeth to line up the same as before.

If you have a multimeter, then you can check the electrics as shown in this video. With everything being made in china nowadays, decent multimeters are cheap as chips, or you might know a neighbour that has one you can borrow. Otherwise, if you don't feel that confident with repairs, it might be best to have a mechanic diagnose and repair the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.