All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I really need help
I have a corsa b 95 1.4 LS, its not been bad running it used it for my test etc, after i passed I put a K n N induction short ram on, but a few months ago it started lagging when i go to pull away from roundabouts, junctions almost like it is going to stall until it suddenly kicks in, that I could manage with but I thought it was better to take it in for a service as my car was smelling of petrol really bad in fact so much inside the car I was getting high lol!. The garage has said that they couldn't find what was wrong with both probs and that I should take it into a garage with fuel insurance or something but as it doesnt smell as much full he said he wouldnt bother just dont fill up full. But I thought oil change, spark plugs etc will make it run better and it did for about 2 weeks but lately it has started not only to lag more but when I am starting the engine it struggles to start for a few secs then starts but shudders for a while then stalls, as it is shuddering i am trying to rev to get it going which worked for a few weeks but its not responding to my foot on the pedal now, and then it eventually starts but I cant keep going like this I rely on it everyday and its not just in the morning like I go to use it 40 mins later and it still does it, and sometimes even the headlights flicker off as it almosts stall!
Please help I know its a long post but I am sooo stuck!
Many thanks in advance
Kate

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
ermmm injectors? long shot but it seems theres not enough fuel getting into the cylinder. is your battery ok?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh bought a battery in july because it was dying but its not like the battery going its shuddery and smells of petrol badly when started

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Where is Deathsycthe when he is needed? can almsot guarantee you will get a decent answer lol

Seems like its narrowed down to fuel system, smelling petrol is definitely bad!, didnt the mechanic notice any damaged, worn fuel lines and seals etc? fuel tank could also be a possibility, hesitation could be due to fuel starvation or clogged air filter, Have you cleaned the K&N and checked the intakes for any crap etc? could be a fault with the fuel injector (brownie point to dearing lol) or you have a vaccum leak in the throttle body or inlet manifold, its hard because i havent seen the car do it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
basically its flooding.
when it starts up but shudders, its misfiring because too much fuel is being injected on the ECU 'start' cycle, which lasts for 30 seconds. it smells of petrol because the injector fires directly onto the throttle plate (at start-up, there is hardly any vacuum in the manifold to draw the petrol past the throttle plate) so the petrol lingers around in the plenum chamber. when it is shuddering, any throttle at all will stall it so don't touch the pedal (it wont help at all, if anything it'll make it worse).
it isn't a mechanical fault, its more of a fault with the design of the injection system.

here's how to de-flood it if it happens, might be handy to print this bit off and keep it in the car (under the sun-visor is a good place)

ignition off.
pull the cover off the fusebox, locate the fuse that's second from the right in the bottom-right hand corner and pull it.
push the throttle pedal all the way to the floor and crank the engine 2x for about 10-15 seconds.
ignition off again.
put the fuse back in and let go of the throttle.
ignition on and wait for 10 seconds before you try to start it, it'll shudder slightly and you'll smell petrol a bit, probably get some smoke out of the exhaust too.

there you go, its a good idea to fit an on/off switch in place of that fuse so you can just turn the fuel pump off when it happens, so you dont have to play around in the fusebox.
this happens most of the time to me if i use normal unleaded, usually caused by a dodgy batch of cheap fuel, might be time to switch your petrol station, i go with using Shell garages, hasn't happened once from them.

clutch i was way ahead of you mate, i was busy writing all that lol! but good pointers from you mate.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
lol thanks mate, bit of a shot in the dark, and well im no mechanic :rolleyes: but what did i say? your guaranteed to get a decent answer... there you have it problem solved lol! mark saves the day lol :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
393 Posts
you did bring up some good pointers matt, i was just helping kate out getting it started. checks on the fuel filter and the injector seals are probably on the cards, stuff to try is using some redex with a tankful of super unleaded, see if that makes a big difference (more than likely will) and see if it still does it afterwards.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
:) all a big learning curve, just a thought, Can fitting a K&N or similar after market filter cause over fueling, because of increased air flow? ever since iv used a drilled/derestricted airbox iv noticed a tad drop in economy and on one occasion seemed as if it was over fueling, seemed to splutter, bit groggy and unrealiable idle, have had no problems since, also there is a nasty flat spot at about 3000rpm, do you think this is caused by the modified airbox? only notice it in first and second and when i gun it

·
Registered
393 Posts
yeah it can cause over-fueling at certain areas of the rpm range.
think of it like this, the throttle body on an 8v relies on the airflow through it to break up the petrol that it squirts onto the throttle plate. if there is too little vacuum above the throttle plate (caused by too little restriction from the air filter) then the petrol has problems breaking up and vapourising properly when it's travelling down the manifold, causing hesitation and generally rough running. this is really noticeable when first starting up on a cold morning (several times last year i had to get a hair-dryer on an extension to blow hot-air into the plenum chamber during winter).
once its running, its pretty much relying on the throttle plate itself and the heated manifold (if its got one) to vapourise the fuel because of the amount of gas flow through the engine as its running.
something you could try matt, get some of that heat-resistant exhaust wrap stuff rally cars use and wrap it around the intake manifold, see if it still does it when the engine has warmed up.heres a link for that, these guys are pretty good:
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=261_262

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks alot guys it actually makes quite alot of sense and i will try all this stuff tomorrow i'll let ya know how i get on.
Cheers
Kate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts